Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

T4L Support

Default Big Thinkers: Howard Gardner on Multiple Intelligences

We have a new and exciting medium for our cyber book club. With the busy holidays upon us, it may be a challenge to find time to read an entire book. We found the perfect fit for our need to connect with one another and discuss what is nearest and dearest to us -- our children’s education and how we can contribute to their success. This informative video stirs the imagination and directs to the information we value most. We invite you to take 10 minutes out of your schedule and watch this interview with Dr.Howard Gardner.

Howard Gardner is the John H. and Elisabeth A. Hobbs Professor in Cognition and Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. He also holds positions as adjunct professor of psychology at Harvard University, adjunct professor of neurology at the Boston University School of Medicine, and chairman of the steering committee of the graduate school's Project Zero.

He has written 20 books and hundreds of articles and is best known for his theory of multiple intelligences, which holds that intelligence goes far beyond the traditional verbal/linguistic and logical/mathematical measurements. Here he discusses student-directed learning, multiple intelligences, and a different approach to assessment.

Blog Entries

Hello Time4Learning Family,

I absolutely LOVED this video. It is so full of wisdom and insight. Here is are first question to help get us started. Please feel free to share any thoughts you might have as well!

Q- What are Multiple Intelligences? How can understanding this concept help our homeschools flourish?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

T4L Support

I am still impressed with this video. I tend to judge a book by it's cover and I personally thought to myself "This looks boring" . Then I gave it a shot...WOW Was I wrong!

So here's my take...

Multiple intelligences are the seemingly obvious parts of every student that has ever studied. Well, obvious when you can have a name or a label to place on them. I am so grateful for the hard work and dedication the Dr. Gardner has to help those of us that have "other" ways of learning than to be lectured to. Imagine if this was available 200 years ago, what a change in society there would be. In my opinion, as humble as I possibly can be, a lot of the frustration that leads to rage and eventually crime would be significantly less. It takes a tremendous amount of respect and compassion to begin to pay attention to how we truly learn and what our strengths are . To optimize our strengths and build up confidence to overcome challenges is one of the best lessons we can collectively teach our children. Today, may I apply this awareness to everyone that crosses my path today.
    Last edited by MarieT4L; 12-15-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    MarieBB