Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Chapter Nine & Ten Discussion- How do we Understand/ How many ways can we be smart?

Chapter Nine- How Do We Understand?

I don't know about you all, but I am learning so much through all these different tests that the author has put in place to help us discover.

So far, I've found out that I am a STRONG Abstract Random and visual leaner. This next test helps us to understand if we are global or analytical.

When I speak at conferences I will often joke with my audience that I am so global I can run smack dab into a tree right in front of me and never see it coming. I see the whole forest, all the potential, but will miss the most important details if I'm not careful to stop and prepare carefully. What about you?

If you're analytical you need the details to help you paint the picture. If you're global you need the picture to pull out the details.

Chapter Ten- How many ways can we be smart?

Everyone is smart they just show it differently. If you were going to measure my oldest sons worth by how well he does in algebra he would come out sorely lacking. However, if you measured his worth by his linguist (verbal) skills he would be BRILLIANT!

Do you have a child that seems a little slow? You will love this chapter then. The truth is we are all slow in one area or another. The purpose of parenting is to help our children discover what makes them uniquely great at what they do. Here is the list of the different kinds of smarts you can have:

Linguistic- Verbal- These learners do well with reading, writing, speaking, debating.

Logical Mathematical- These learners are our scientist, engineers, philosophers.

Spacial- These learns do well by thinking in pictures. Highly spacial careers are drafting, architecture, mechanical drawing.

Musical- These learners come alive when anything is put to music. They don't just hear it, but FEEL it. Toes will tap, hands will clap. These learners need to hear music in the background in order to learn.

Bodily Kinesthetic- These learners thrive when they can be in action. Many athletes are bodily kinesthetic.

Interpersonal- These learners thrive in community. They process what they're learning through conversation. Not because they want to, but because they HAVE to!

Intrapersonal- These learners need solitude and time to think and contemplate.

What sounds familiar to you? Won't you share your discoveries?

Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

When I did the test on page 107 the result was that I'm analytic (14-1 answers!), but when I read through the descriptions, I'm much more like the globals! As for smarts, I'm highly Intrapersonal, liking some time alone, meditating, having a "positive self concept", and I "don't rely on others' opinions to determine (my) life goals and aspirations". (p. 136) However, I'm also highly Interpersonal, easily reading others' moods and needs and spend most of the day tending to them and not getting that Intrapersonal time (until I'm feeling so overwhelmed that I get cranky and no one wants to be around me! lol. Then I get to re-energize in my alone-time.)

My son is only 4 so it's difficult to tell what his "smarts" are. Right now I'd have to say it's Bodily-Kinesthetic.
    ~ Rosie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earthwom View Post
    When I did the test on page 107 the result was that I'm analytic (14-1 answers!), but when I read through the descriptions, I'm much more like the globals! As for smarts, I'm highly Intrapersonal, liking some time alone, meditating, having a "positive self concept", and I "don't rely on others' opinions to determine (my) life goals and aspirations". (p. 136) However, I'm also highly Interpersonal, easily reading others' moods and needs and spend most of the day tending to them and not getting that Intrapersonal time (until I'm feeling so overwhelmed that I get cranky and no one wants to be around me! lol. Then I get to re-energize in my alone-time.)

My son is only 4 so it's difficult to tell what his "smarts" are. Right now I'd have to say it's Bodily-Kinesthetic.
    Rosie, I thought that was interesting that the test led you to a type that does not fit you. It just goes to show how these type of test are a tool, but ultimately we have to figure it out by reading through the descriptions in detail. I loved your feedback!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

I forgot to mention how much I LOVE this book! It's definitely a lifetime "keeper" and will be referred to often. It has really helped me to understand others.
    Thanks so much for this book club!
    ~ Rosie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earthwom View Post
    I forgot to mention how much I LOVE this book! It's definitely a lifetime "keeper" and will be referred to often. It has really helped me to understand others.
    Thanks so much for this book club!
    This blesses my heart. I love how the support team at Time4Learning is always so open to helping us work out idea's to walk strongly as homeschoolers. I shared my heart and they gave me the place to carry it out with lots of wonderful advice. However, you have been a huge part of this wonderful experience.
    Last edited by MamaMary; 10-25-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries

I am more interpersonal and linguistic while my daughter is spacial and intrapersonal.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    I am more interpersonal and linguistic while my daughter is spacial and intrapersonal.
    Jackie, do you find it easier working with your daughter because she has a different learning style than you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMary View Post
    Jackie, do you find it easier working with your daughter because she has a different learning style than you
    No, not really. She is harder to work with, but that could be due to the dyslexia and auditory processing problems or maybe the fact that she is 13!!! In reality, she is very, very independent and doesn't want my help. She shuts me out lots on her schooling. She wants to do it on her own. I have had to make myself pull back and let her try. She has done exceptionally well. I tended to do too much for her in the past because of the difficulties, and she saw that. I didn't realize until this year how much she can do on her own. She is very bright so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that she played me (part of her brightness--realized she could act like she couldn't do something to get out of doing it) when she was little due to the learning issues and I continued to compensate for her as we continued our journey when I should have started pulling back and pushing her more on her own merits. The beginning of her teen years kicked her independence into gear and she decided she wanted to take more control of her schooling. I told her one day that I was on to her, that I knew she was capable of much more so I was going to expect more. She giggled. It was very hard for me to take a back-seat so to speak, but I do think it is for the best. She has come a long way. She has a long way to go, but she knows she can do it because of the success she has been experiencing.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

T4L Support

"These learners thrive in community. They process what they're learning through conversation. Not because they want to, but because they HAVE to!"

YES! This is me!!! I was always I trouble for talking. I get into trouble for talking STILL. I am a Musical Learner secondary. So If I am not talking, I am singing. I must drive my husband crazy.
    MarieBB

Chapter 9 explains a frustration that has been going on in our house for some time. On the quiz/checklist, I come out almost evenly divided 7 for Analytical and 8 for Global. I understand this-I think I am more global when I read the descriptions that follow.

however, under times of stress (such as too much to do, learning/starting something new etc.) I become more analytical to cope. I become much more task oriented.... On one hand, I could say I'm bipolar, bouncing back and forth between the extremes, however, I prefer to think of myself as well balanced. ;-)

The frustration is that my oldest son is definitely analytical..noticing details, asking me "did you see that?" which I most assuredly did not-for seeing the whole forest and almost running into a tree. I will keep working to provide him the structure that he needs....this chapter has helped me to see this difference as something to work with.

As far as chapter 10, I'd say my top 3 are linguistic, interpersonal and intrapersonal. As for my oldest, it's hard to say, as English is his 2nd language, and he's still learning. I do think that he has a tendency toward the interpersonal as well-noticing when somethings wrong-sensing others moods/emotions. Not sure if that is because of all the transition in his life or because that is how he is "smart" too soon to tell. I guess my job is just to continue to expose him to learning in a wide variety of ways and see what sticks. Same for the 4 year old.
    Last edited by Lena; 10-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast