Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    No, not really. She is harder to work with, but that could be due to the dyslexia and auditory processing problems or maybe the fact that she is 13!!! In reality, she is very, very independent and doesn't want my help. She shuts me out lots on her schooling. She wants to do it on her own. I have had to make myself pull back and let her try. She has done exceptionally well. I tended to do too much for her in the past because of the difficulties, and she saw that. I didn't realize until this year how much she can do on her own. She is very bright so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that she played me (part of her brightness--realized she could act like she couldn't do something to get out of doing it) when she was little due to the learning issues and I continued to compensate for her as we continued our journey when I should have started pulling back and pushing her more on her own merits. The beginning of her teen years kicked her independence into gear and she decided she wanted to take more control of her schooling. I told her one day that I was on to her, that I knew she was capable of much more so I was going to expect more. She giggled. It was very hard for me to take a back-seat so to speak, but I do think it is for the best. She has come a long way. She has a long way to go, but she knows she can do it because of the success she has been experiencing.
    Jackie, this is such great insight and something I'm sure we could all be guilty of at one time or another. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I so LOVE your authenticity.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarieT4L View Post
    "These learners thrive in community. They process what they're learning through conversation. Not because they want to, but because they HAVE to!"

YES! This is me!!! I was always I trouble for talking. I get into trouble for talking STILL. I am a Musical Learner secondary. So If I am not talking, I am singing. I must drive my husband crazy.
    Marie, I bet we could be sisters. (Big Sincere Smile) My parents sent me to a christian school where they would sit us in cubicles to work independently and we were not allowed to talk. I learned two things through this situation:

1- I cannot learn if I cannot process and talk through idea's. I actually shut down.

2- That it is possible to be in detention every single day of the school year and live to tell about it. (blushing and grinning)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Chapter 9 explains a frustration that has been going on in our house for some time. On the quiz/checklist, I come out almost evenly divided 7 for Analytical and 8 for Global. I understand this-I think I am more global when I read the descriptions that follow.

however, under times of stress (such as too much to do, learning/starting something new etc.) I become more analytical to cope. I become much more task oriented.... On one hand, I could say I'm bipolar, bouncing back and forth between the extremes, however, I prefer to think of myself as well balanced. ;-)

The frustration is that my oldest son is definitely analytical..noticing details, asking me "did you see that?" which I most assuredly did not-for seeing the whole forest and almost running into a tree. I will keep working to provide him the structure that he needs....this chapter has helped me to see this difference as something to work with.

LENA! This is HUGE and SO insightful! I am very global so I don't experience this myself. (I envy analytical types) However, I have friends who get frustrated because they also feel as though they are evenly balanced and don't understand why in some situations one type presents more strongly than others? I LOVED your insight because that totally makes sense!

T4L Support

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMary View Post
    Marie, I bet we could be sisters. (Big Sincere Smile) My parents sent me to a christian school where they would sit us in cubicles to work independently and we were not allowed to talk. I learned two things through this situation:

1- I cannot learn if I cannot process and talk through idea's. I actually shut down.

2- That it is possible to be in detention every single day of the school year and live to tell about it. (blushing and grinning)
    I was a habitual detentionee,which did not make my parents very happy. Nevertheless we all survived and I learned no one has died from talking too much
    MarieBB

Quote Originally Posted by MarieT4L View Post
    I was a habitual detentionee,which did not make my parents very happy. Nevertheless we all survived and I learned no one has died from talking too much
    ha ha ha ha, made me laugh out loud. And serves as a good reminder, for my chatty chatty children. Hoping I can survive too! lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12