Introducing the Cyber Book Club
" "
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Introducing the Cyber Book Club

I am thrilled (and a little nervous) to announce the launch of our new Cyber Book Club starting Sept 27th. It is intended as a free service to parents.

First, I'm delighted that our own MamaMary has agreed to host and moderate the discussion (if you want to know more about Mary, scroll to the bottom of this post). The idea started when she visited our office one day and spoke to us about homeschooling including her vision which was in part based on some books that she read. We were so moved that we started talking about how we could share her experiences and vision more broadly and...tada...the Cyber Book Club is starting.

If you intend to participate, or have questions or comments, please respond to this post.

FAQs
    The cyber book club is open to any parent whether you have a child enrolled with Time4Learning or Time4Writing or not. If you have friends that would enjoy this, please invite them to participate.

The first week, September 27th-Oct 3rd, we will be discussing the first chapter of Cynthia Tobias' The Way They Learn. If you haven't read it, you can participate anyway since we'll provide enough of a summary for you to be oriented. But you should read her in the original, she's great.
    The second week, a larger chunk of the book will be discussed.

The discussions will initially be on your own schedule and they'll be hosted here. If there is interest, we can try some realtime chat or discussions at some point.

We are open to input on which books we should read and discuss next, the leading contenders are:
    StrengthFinder 2.0
    Tom Rath
    (is How Full is your Bucket more relevant?)

Five Languages of Love
    Gary Chapman
    (or another book by him)

The Homework Myth
    Alfie Kohn
    (or another of his books)

The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens
    Stephen R. Covey
    (perhaps The Leader in Me by him which deals most directly with parenting)

Our Cyber Book Club Moderator will be MamaMary. Mary has been homeschooling since the late 90's and is the mother of four sons, all of whom have their own style of learning. After falling in love with their web-based curriculum, she now works closely with Time4Learning. In addition, she is the chairwoman of one of the largest homeschool support groups in the State of Florida and is also the founder of SWSH, an online support group dedicated to helping families learn how to pursue a strengths-based homeschool/lifestyle.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning is Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum: Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!

Blog Entries

Yipee! I can't wait to get started. Whether you are brand new to homeschooling or you've been at this for years, come join us. We're Better Together!

The Way They Learn will inspire and equip you to teach very specifically and purposefully to each of your children's unique learning styles.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Junior Member Newbie

This sounds really interesting and helpful! I plan on attending.

Blog Entries

I'll make sure I get it on each of my groups this week. I'll post it on some other groups I'm on this week as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Is there a link for us to post? Or just link to this thread?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

This thread will be the "sign-up" thread so we know how many people to expect. There will be a new thread for Chapter One Discussion for week one, then another thread for week 2. At least, that's the plan. It's our first time so we're learning as we go.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning is Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum: Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!

I am a newbie, and I am going to participate. Thanks for giving this a go-I like the learning as we go bit, it's the best way, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieP View Post
    This sounds really interesting and helpful! I plan on attending.
    Hi Stephanie,

I am so glad to have you on board. It will be fun to discover your children's learning styles together. This is one of my favorite "how-to" books. I really believe this book was one of those big "aha", life changing moments for our family. Make sure you order your book soon so you can jump right in on the first day. (Big Warm Smile) I'll see you next Wednesday!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    I am a newbie, and I am going to participate. Thanks for giving this a go-I like the learning as we go bit, it's the best way, in my opinion.
    Hi Lena,

I am so glad to have you on board. It's going to be such a big "aha" moment as our children become even clearer. Let us know once you get your book!

Blog Entries

I'll be participating! Thanks, Mary!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast