Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: accreditation

Question accreditation

Is the 7th grade program accredited in Louisiana?

Default Re: accreditation

Hi there! Time4Learning is a curriculum, not a school. Accreditation doesn't apply to curriculum.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi! A school can be accredited, but a curriculum can't. Accreditation simply means that a school has met the accreditation requirements of "some organization, somewhere". When inquiring about accreditation, it's a good idea to find out who has accredited the school, and what their requirements are. For example, one organization actually specified the number of students per available restroom necessary for accreditation.

A lot of people think the word "accredited" means it's a program in which the student can earn credits (because it looks like the word "credit" is in there). Nope.

In case it is credits you are asking about, all fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. The parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent decides what equals a credit, or even whether graduation will depend on earning "credits" at all. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school, with all sorts of advice on what you might want to require of your student, is Let's Homeschool High School.com.

Think of Time4Learning as a fun online alternative to renting a huge stack of textbooks. The bookstore or textbook publisher would not tell you how to use those textbooks, and you would not ask the bookstore or book publisher if a textbook was "accredited".

Four of my own six kids have graduated from our family's home school using Time4Learning as our core curriculum. They have all attended college using the homeschool diplomas and transcripts I have prepared.

I hope this helps explain some things that many people find confusing. Good luck as you explore all of your options.
    Robin likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kelly's response is way better than mine. LOL!