Default Calculating a GPA

My daughter will be entering high school this coming fall. The school is requiring that I give them something that can show where she is academically. Time4Learning does an excellent job of tracking grades, however, is there a way I can calculate an overrall grade for each subject. I seen it was mentioned on someone else's thread that there is software that can assist me with this. They really aren't asking for specifics, but in a way they are, if that makes sense. I'm just not sure I want to print them out a 100 page detailed report of each assignment. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Natasha

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Calculating a GPA

Hi. If you log in to your parent account, you can find a template for a transcript that you might find helpful. Many families do not grade homeschool students, because grades are intended for a teacher to let parents know how the child is doing. When you need to provide a grade to a third party, you can just assign a GPA that corresponds to your knowledge of your chlid's ability.

If you aren't sure of your child's ability or want to calculate a grade for a subject, there are many methods for doing so. This is true among teachers in traditional schools, too. They have great leeway in how they come up with a student's grade.

Some people just average all the test scores in a subject and that is the student's percentage score for that subject. (Generally, 90 or above is an A, eighties is a B, seventies is a C, sixties is a D, and below that is failing. Again, there are many, many grade average charts. You can look them up online.)

Some people average all work done in a subject, including things they have graded themselves, such as worksheets and writing assignments.

Some people average only the online, computer-scored work.

To average percentage scores, add up everything you are including in the grade and then divide that total by the number of scores you added together. Example: Math scores of 100, 100, 80, 60, and 90. Add those together and get 430. Divide 430 by 5 (the number of scores you added together to get 430). The answer is 86, which most people consider a B.

To calculate an overall, four-point GPA that encompasses all subjects, assign four points to every subject in which the student received an A, three for each B, two for each C, one for each D, and zero for each F. Divide that by 5. Example: Student receives an A in reading, a B in language arts, an A in social studies and a C in science. Add together 4+3+4+2 to get 13. Divide 13 by the four subjects to get a GPA of 3.25.

I hope this helps. You have a lot of leeway here. Please let me know if you need more info.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: Calculating a GPA

Thanks so much Kelly! I appreciate all your information!

Natasha