Confused after adding Weekly Breaks
" "

Default Confused after adding Weekly Breaks

Hello! I added the weekly breaks in my daughter's plan as suggested by Kelly. She has the detailed plan. However, when I added the weekly break, the program readjusted her activities, as expected, but her LA Extensions has pushed back. It has formatted to the point where, it skipped a lot of activites. It is hard to describe in words. We just completed Chapter 4: Short Stories on Friday. So this week, we are to start Chapter 5: Poetry. But when I added the weekly break for next week, it pushed the Chapter 4 and the first lesson of Chapter 5 back to October 16. As, I looked through all the previous weeks from October 16 until November 13, LA assignments, are listed that are not checked done because we haven't gotten to them yet. Should I contact someone at T4L over the phone? Because I really would like for her to complete those assignments that have been moved to past weeks. I understand that she can still complete them but I'll have to continue to go back to assign them to her. Also, last month, I dropped Earth Science from her curriculum because she was doing all 4 Sciences and it became overwhelming for her to retain all the information. She's doing much better with 3. But it is still listed in My Activity Plans. Is there a way to delete Earth Science assignments from our Activity Plans?

Confused,

Natasha

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confused after adding Weekly Breaks

Hi, Natasha. I'll address the science situation first. Each middle school science course (Earth Science, Physical Science, Life Science, etc.) is designed to last a traditional nine-month school year. Of course, you may use them any way you like . . . but if your child is doing three science courses, they are doing three years' worth of science in one year. That would be too much for most students. You can log in to your parent account, click on Manage Students, then select Change Grade Level (which is also where you change courses). Choose your child's name from the dropdown menu in the left sidebar and then look to the right for the Science menu. Select one science course from that menu. Within 24 hours, that is the only course that will appear on the student's dashboard.

You have the option of having all the middle school science courses, because some families like to pick and choose a little from each course throughout the year. These families usually will usually do a chapter or two from several courses during a school year, and then they choose different chapters from different courses the following year. They don't attempt to do all the science courses in one year.

I do suggest you call the office while you are in front of your computer to solve the other dilemma. You're correct about it being difficult to explain in words. It will probably be easier if you and the person helping you both have your computers in front of you. You can call the office at (888) 771-0914 from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM Eastern time (except they are closed on weekends and they close at 6:00 PM on Fridays).

The Activity Planner has only been around for a couple of years. You do not have to use it. The detailed plan isn't for everyone. You can just have your child do the lessons in sequence and tell them to do, for instance two language arts, one language arts extension, two math, one science and two social studies (or whatever number you decide on) each day. Since our schedule changes so often, I have found that easier with my kids. If you aren't quite sure how to do the activities in sequence, please let me know and I can explain how the program is organized.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: Confused after adding Weekly Breaks

Hi Kelly! Yea, I know that the Sciences are for an entire year. However, I chose all 3 in the beginning in fear that we would have some difficulty in staying in compliance with our state homeschooling laws. Wisconsin requires 875 hours per year. We are not going to achieve those hours with T4L alone. I have to add supplemental work already. This is why I chose to keep 3 Sciences. She does Life Science on Monday and Tuesday, Physical Science on Wednesday and Thursday, and Nature of Science on Fridays and she seems to be doing very well with that course load. Some of the supplemental work I provide is related to lessons she is working on. I actually love the detailed planner, it works very well for us, because I am a very structured person. It makes it easier for both my daughter and I to have a plan laid out that we can follow. Since, I made the change, Earth Science is not showing up on her lessons plans anymore or her activities, however, it is still showing on our Detailed Activity Planner. It's not a huge issue, I was just wondering it there is a way I could delete if from the planner. I will contact the office with help regarding the automatic change the planner did to readjust for the week we are taking off for Thanksgiving. As usual, thanks again for all your help! Enjoy your day!!

Natasha