Progress Reports/ Report Cards
" "

Default Progress Reports/ Report Cards

Hello. As this is my first time homeschooling, I have no idea if progress reports/report cards are necessary. If so, does T4L assist with this? I'm not sure if this is a requirement. Our daughter will be returning to private school next year so I'm just wondering if this is necessary. I do print out her report sheets, monthly, and I am keeping a very organized binder of work she is completing.

Thanks,

Natasha

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Progress Reports/ Report Cards

Hi, nasja!

Each state has its own homeschool laws. Some of them require periodic testing of homeschooled students, but none of them require report cards.

It might be a good idea to check with the school you intend your student to eventually attend, to see what records they would like. Since it is a private school, they may have preferences specific to their own school.

The reports you are keeping are a thorough record of your child's online work. You are probably doing offline and parent-designed things that you might want to keep in a portfolio. Here is some information about keeping a homeschool portfolio. This isn't necessarily required in your state.

Many homeschoolers start out trying to recreate public school at home, complete with desks and report cards. Long-term homeschool families usually (but not always) end up doing school wherever it is convenient, and deciding report cards aren't necessary (since report cards were intended as communication between teacher and parents). Some kids do find them motivating, especially if they have friends who receive report cards. (When I was young, my report cards were actually CARDS . . . heavy cardstock, folded in half, with my grades on the inside. Nowadays, kids usually receive a computer printout from schools instead, and the Time4Learning reports look a lot like that.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you for your response. My daughter is the one that was really wondering about receiving a report card. I didn't feel like it was necessary based on the fact that we do track her grades, and we go over assignments daily. Yes, I do assign her other work outside of T4L, therefore, I keep all that work in the portfolios I have created. So, I do believe we are doing great. Yes, I understand how first time homeschoolers would try to recreate school. I am more flexible as far as time, but for my daughter, we have to keep a more stable and consistent schedule. It helps her with organization and her focus. But so far, we are enjoying the process. I am really happy that I am able to be this involved in her learning. It has shed light on many things, such as her weaknesses and strengths and this helps me to focus on things she is struggling with.

Thank you,

Natasha

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Natasha, it does sound like you are doing great, and that you have a really good understanding of what works for your own child. You've obviously done your parental "homework" in researching homeschooling.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!