Starting halfway through the year HELP!!!
" "

Default Starting halfway through the year HELP!!!

We just started homeschooling and I'm not sure what my daughter should be learning. For the lesson plan I clicked on the entire 6th grade course but I'm sure she has already covered some of it. I'm so lost with this could someone please help me out?!?

Default Re: Starting halfway through the year HELP!!!

If your student has covered a lot of it, you can feel free to skip to the topics she hasn't already covered. You can also choose another grade level (per subject).

My third grade son is also just starting today. We are discussing each unit to see if he is familiar with the topics. If he is I'm having him do the quiz. If he does well we will skip that section and move forward.
    I called customer service yesterday and this is what the lady I spoke with suggested. Seems to make sense. This way if there are gaps in what he learned, we can cover them NOW before he moves farther along in his education

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.mondragon View Post
    We just started homeschooling and I'm not sure what my daughter should be learning. For the lesson plan I clicked on the entire 6th grade course but I'm sure she has already covered some of it. I'm so lost with this could someone please help me out?!?

Hi Melissa,

So did my son (started after winter break). I don't like common core, however, I use the CA standards as a guide to what, exactly, Jake (son) needs to know. Not sure what state you are from, but it should have its own standards. We use ELA & ELA Extension here on T4L. According to the standards for CA, 6th graders need to cover Earth Science and Ancient History along with the math and science. For math, I use his math book from school as a guide and have a tutor for that. For Science, we go by his school textbook because T4L covers topics not included in the standards. For History, we only did the activities in T4L for Ancient History and ignored the other activities b/c those are not in the standards. Does that help at all?

-Cynthia

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every curriculum, every school, and every teacher will have different ideas about what material to present, when to present it, and how in-depth to go. A student changing schools or curriculum will always find things areas they need to review or things they have already covered in their new curriculum.

Some parents have their student do the quizzes or tests first. If they score well on the quiz or test, they do not have to do the associated lessons. If they do not score well on the quiz or test, they do the associated lessons and try again. This is one way to help your child only study things they do not already know.

We also hosted a live webinar about beginning mid-year. It is available in recorded form on YouTube through this link: Beginning Homeschool Mid-Year

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Every curriculum, every school, and every teacher will have different ideas about what material to present, when to present it, and how in-depth to go. A student changing schools or curriculum will always find things areas they need to review or things they have already covered in their new curriculum.

Some parents have their student do the quizzes or tests first. If they score well on the quiz or test, they do not have to do the associated lessons. If they do not score well on the quiz or test, they do the associated lessons and try again. This is one way to help your child only study things they do not already know.

We also hosted a live webinar about beginning mid-year. It is available in recorded form on YouTube through this link: Beginning Homeschool Mid-Year
    How do you find the quizzes?