What to grade & not grade? 4th grader returning to public school soon
" "

Default What to grade & not grade? 4th grader returning to public school soon

My son is in the 4th grade. Last school year, our public schools rezoned. This caused my son to be put into a totally new school further from home & without any of his friends from the 6 previous years of his schooling... So I chose to homeschool him this year. We have now moved to another parish in Louisiana where my son has other friends & he wants to return to public school.
    So I'm trying to get things together to transfer him into our local public school. When I printed out his reports for T4L, he has A LOT of scores along with statuses showing N/A. So now I'm wondering if I have been grading everything or not... How can I tell what I need to grade & what I DON'T need to grade?
    Is there anyone else having this issue?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What to grade & not grade? 4th grader returning to public school soon

Those "N/As" mean a score is not applicable to that activity . . . because it's a teaching activity instead of a practice or assessment activity. Compare the non-scored activities to a teacher, standing in front of a class and giving instruction about how to do something. Students don't receive scores for that, even if the teacher asks a couple of questions along the way.

The scores are for a parent's information. You use the scores, along with anything else you might want to include, to come up with a grade for your child. The program scores all of the online work, but parents score worksheets and writing assignments. Most people want to include at least a few of those in their child's final grade.

There are as many ways to calculate a grade as there are teachers. Some people just average test scores, feeling that they're the most accurate way to determine what the student has actually learned. Others include everything the student has done in their average. Still others only consider the online, computer-scored activities . . . which is a very convenient way to do it.

Generally, a score in the nineties or above is an A, a score in the eighties is a B, seventies a C, sixties a D, and below that is failing. If you search "gradepoint average", you will see that there is a huge variance here, too. I get easier-to-understand results when I do a Google IMAGE search for "gradepoint average".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!