Transition To Homeschool
" "
+ Reply to Thread
    SavemySon

Default Transition To Homeschool

Hello Everyone.

Hope this post finds you well!!!

I am finally ready to take the leap of faith. I am looking into options to homeschool my third grader. I do have other children, but will start with him, as he is the one who needs it the most. looking at GADOE site, cyber academy is not considered homeschooling? So now, i am not sure what that means and what to do. I was seeking that option, because he likes being on the computer. he is not a fan of writing, and gets really frustrated with same. Plus the benefit or record keeping and possibility flexibility for me to be able to juggle all that i have going on. What are some of the best options for this age group. He is a low reader as well. His strength is math. What homeschool curriculum have you find the most success with? What is the best advice for a first time homeschooling experience. I feel lost. I will also continue to survey the website to see some of these previous post. Thanks you for your time.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Transition To Homeschool

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling". Georgia Cyber Academy and other online public school options are not homeschooling. They are online public school. Homeschooling has more to do with who directs the student's education and what laws must be followed than in where the learning takes place.

This is the parent forum for Time4Learning, an online homeschool curriculum. It is not an online school. Time4Learning allows anyone to sign up and start using the curriculum at any time. They do encourage families to follow the homeschool laws in their state, but they do not oversee that. They are simply a provider of a curriculum.

Here is a brief explanation of the difference between an online school and homeschooling.

When homeschooling, the parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. Homeschool laws are different in each state, but they are always very different from "school" laws. In most cases, they are far less restrictive. The parent chooses and pays for curriculum. The parent creates, signs, maintains, and stands behind any documents the student needs (transcript, homeschool diploma, etc.). The parent is the teacher of record, even if they mostly rely on an online curriculum and don't do all the teaching "from scratch" (sort of like a classroom teacher who shows the class a DVD; she is still the teacher!).

An online school is responsible for following the school laws (NOT homeschool laws) in the school's state. School laws were designed for a classroom model, so it can be difficult to comply with the "hours" requirement, which does not take into account that learning at home takes far less time than homeschooling because there are no "crowd control" issues to deal with (waiting in line to use a microscope, roll call, assemblies, traveling from class to class, and waiting for the end of a designated class period before being able to move on to the next subject). The school will choose the curriculum and it will probably (not always) be included as part of your tuition. The school will create, sign, maintain, and stand behind any documents. The school will employ teachers, clerical personnel and others to manage the students.

Online public school options are usually free, because the student is considered a public school student and they are paid for with tax dollars. Public schools started offering this option because they receive tax money based on how many students are enrolled. They can count students enrolled in their online public school option (such as Georgia Cyber Academy) as a public school student.

Online non-public schools (basically private schools) are more costly than an online curriculum because of the oversight involved. They must hire teachers and others to be available to your student and to maintain records.

An online curriculum will be quite inexpensive . . . often less expensive than purchasing homeschool textbooks.

I have used Time4Learning to homeschool my six children since 2006. The elder four have graduated from our family's home school and were ready for college at ages 16, 17, 16, and 16. I would, of course, recommend Time4Learning if you are looking for an online curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!