Daily/Weekly time spent on coursework
" "
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: Daily/Weekly time spent on coursework

Question Daily/Weekly time spent on coursework

Hello. My student is a junior in high school and is taking Algebra 2, US History I, US Government, and Chemistry. They are also taking college English. Our school year is set to 38 weeks. When I created the lesson plan I just set the number of weeks and let the program determine what is due each week. My student got straight A's in traditional school, and is still getting them, but they have to spend at least 6 hours a day M-F to keep up with this curriculum. Is this normal for anyone else? What is your daily and weekly routine for your student with 4 courses?

Thanks!

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Daily/Weekly time spent on coursework

At the high school level, I plan on about an hour or less per course. If the planner returns more than 1 or two activities per day, I start deleting things until we get to that amount. And I don't mean two activities in all four subjects. I mean, perhaps, one activity in three subjects and two activities in another.

For example, I delete all of the writing assignments except the ones in in the actual English courses. I delete many of the "authentic tasks", which are usually very time-consuming worksheets.

It doesn't do any good for someone to "get through" the lessons if they aren't actually learning. People can only assimilate a limited amount of new material per day.

For history, you can consider only doing one or two historical eras. Instead of studying "U.S. History", call your course something like "American in the 1800s" and only study that part.

In my experience, the entire U.S. History 101 Course, along with the Government course, would be overwhelming.

I hope this helps.
    5fritts likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    At the high school level, I plan on about an hour or less per course. If the planner returns more than 1 or two activities per day, I start deleting things until we get to that amount. And I don't mean two activities in all four subjects. I mean, perhaps, one activity in three subjects and two activities in another.

For example, I delete all of the writing assignments except the ones in in the actual English courses. I delete many of the "authentic tasks", which are usually very time-consuming worksheets.

It doesn't do any good for someone to "get through" the lessons if they aren't actually learning. People can only assimilate a limited amount of new material per day.

For history, you can consider only doing one or two historical eras. Instead of studying "U.S. History", call your course something like "American in the 1800s" and only study that part.

In my experience, the entire U.S. History 101 Course, along with the Government course, would be overwhelming.

I hope this helps.

Kelly,

That helps a lot, thank you! I do feel like US History 1 and Government are very overwhelming with the amount of work they require. I like the idea of narrowing it down to just the 1800's. I may do that because my daughter is struggling to get her work done each week and she is a smart one. The authentic task seem to be a bit much as well and I think I will not have her do most of those. I'm going to take a look at her planner again and try to narrow it down to make it more manageable.

Thanks, again!
    Last edited by 5fritts; 10-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Happy to help! Let us know how it goes!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Depends on the student. I've had two use T4L high school courses. My younger teen daughter would spend about 30-45 minutes per course. My older teen daughter (who is in college now) would spend 45mins-over an hour on her courses. She took a lot more notes and did better overall at the time.
    5fritts likes this.