12 Years of Education Summary
" "
    Junior Member Newbie

Default 12 Years of Education Summary

Do any of you know of a resource that lays out a suggested track for the years of education...for instance, it would suggest covering Algebra in 8th grade, US History in X - X grade and again in X grade, etc... Looking to put together my own but don't want to reinvent the wheel? Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 12 Years of Education Summary

Hi. Each school, each curriculum, and each teacher will have their own ideas about what to present, the order in which to present it, and how in-depth to go. A little bit of an exception is math and language arts, which now have common core standards for public schools . . . but, even then, everything doesn't have to be presented in a certain order.

I have enjoyed using World Book Encyclopedia's Typical Course of Study. Some years, I have just used that, along with free worksheets online, library books, and YouTube videos. (That's an ambitious undertaking, do-able only if you enjoy it and/or are highly motivated to save money.)

There is also a series of books called "What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know", "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know" and so forth. They are pretty cool, because they aren't just lists. They actually include the material, although you will want to add more. For instance, the words to all of the suggested folk songs for kindergarten are included.

ASK.com has a suggested course of study, too, along with links to places you can obtain learning material for a lot of the suggestions.

Lastly, if you simply Google "typical course of study", there are a lot of blogging homeschool moms who have come up with their own ideas. (At least there used to be; I actually haven't looked for quite some time. )

There is another book called "What Your Child Needs to Know When" that I looked at a few years ago. It wasn't one of my personal favorites, but you might like it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: 12 Years of Education Summary

Thanks for the reply! I will check those out!
    I have done the google search and looking at some forums but haven't found anything that is a broad overview. I am mostly looking not to reinvent the wheel and try to track where my eight kids are as they go through (oldest is 12) so I don't miss anything.