Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default 3rd grade req. reading ?

I am wondering something about this. On the required reading list there are a few books listed such as Stewart Little and Aladdin and the Lamp etc...

My son is a struggling reader. We have signed up with the Library and Bookit to enhance his reading in hopes to make it fun. So far it has. We have to read what is 'fun' for him for him to stick with it. Right now it is Magic School Bus and Capt UnderPants. *Joy*

But under the Lang Arts, how will those chaps and LA#s work, is it to the point he has to completely read these 4 or so books? Can someone tell me how this will really work and play out before I get to this.

A little short history. He is Autistic with Anxiety but very bright otherwise except in the reading area.

TIA

Hello,

My son is also in 3rd grade and a struggling reader. We have reached the first couple of these required reading books. They are in the LA Ext, and it is only one chapter at a time. I read the chapter to my son, and then he did the lesson. The first couple (Stuart Little) were about story maps and summarizing. I made sure we had the books on hand before the lessons. The "list" has the activity # and you can look at the lesson plans to see when they are approaching (if you want to get the books from the library). It's not like you read the entire book at once.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Lisa (mom to Nicholas)

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can look at those lessons ahead of time, if you'd like to be prepared. As long as you don't mark them as "Complete" by clicking on the little "hand" icon on the last page of the lesson, your preview won't appear on your student's reports.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

I think I will do that. I was not sure how the report would read if I peeked in and I am very anal about my documentation for the boys for HS lol.

TY so much
    Year Round - Homeschooling - Disney Freak of a Mom to two Wonderfully Smart Autistic Kiddos!