Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Another question

So we're still playing with our schedule. Have any of you tried doing one subject (or 2 easy ones) a day. Like a day for math, a day for science, etc?

We alternate Science and Social Studies by the week. Language Arts, Math, and Handwriting are daily. Spanish is here and there. I've got to work spelling in soon.

I have found that the retention is better is when we do short lessons rather than long lessons. I can't imagine doing an entire week of a single subject in one day and then not looking at the subject again until the next week. Also, shorter lessons make the day feel like it is moving along. Sitting and just looking at one subject all day would make us frazzled.

But that is our house. Give it a whirl. If you don't like it, you can always switch back!
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

You have a good point. That would probably overwhelm him pretty fast. So now we're thinking math and language arts every day, science for 2 days and LA extensions (the hardest for him right now) the other 2 days. Now where does social studies fit in. Unless we do social studies on the science days and then handwriting on the extension days.
    I'm just thinking out loud here lol. Hope that's okay!

Blog Entries

We tried for a while to do Math and Language Arts every day. Then we did Science on Monday, Social Studies on Wednesday, and Language Arts Extensions on Friday. It just didn't work for us. Give it a try it might work for your family. I hate science so much that I was scheduling everything I could on Monday so we wouldn't have to do science. We quickly changed it up so we do almost every subject every day.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota