Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone familiar with 1st and 2nd grade standards for writing??? Need some advice....

Hi there! I was wondering what is usually expected of a 1st grader as far as writing. For instance, how many 'sentences' should I expect my child to be able to get down on paper? How does this compare with 2nd grade?

Thanks so much!
    Dakotamom

When my daughter was first grader, i let her write just one sentence each week. I didnt mind the spelling and punctuation and capital letters. My main goal is for her to practice.
    and i saw the progress...
    Now shes in grade 2, yesterday she wrote a story about our lesson Worms in LAX, she made 3 paragraphs all correct spelling, capitals and punctuation.
    I guess its all in the practice and patience.

Oh, that is wonderful! Okay, well thank you. My son hates the writing! I was going to have him do two sentences per day, but now you have given me confidence that even if this seems to be tormenting him that I shouldn't push it overly much. Your daughter has shown great progress with what you have done. Give me hope!!!

Thanks again!

SIncerely,
    Dakotamom

oh u do not know how much my daughter hated writing last year. but if she doesnt write, we will have to stay in her school room all day, playtime will be next day instead of after school.
    just be patient, he will progress then weeks will go by u then introduce how to use capital letters and what we use at the end of each sentence. spellingcity helped my daughter a lot too. we used that almost everyday last year. this year we are only using it once a week.

Hi! I'd like to offer my 28 cents here. I taught 1st grade for a long time and I incorporated the McCracken method with great success. One of the parts is the use of a sentence frame. You basically start with a 2-sentence "story." EX: 'My cat is black. He likes to play.' Then you write it on a white board with a box/rectangle in lieu of "black." Your child COPIES the sentence putting his/her own word where the rectangle is......you can start with color words....move on to other adjectives (fat, thin, mean, tired, etc.). All the rest of the sentence is COPIED. The second sentence is copied exactly as it is. You emphsize that the sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period; one finger space inbetween words and two fingers between sentences. You could use the same story and put a box where 'cat' is as well as where the 'black' is and you can discuss if the chosen creature is a HE or a She for the begining of the next sentence. You can also put a box where the 'play' is so that you could end up with a two sentence story that reads, "My dragon is fat. She likes to eat."

Frank Shaffer has a 'workbook' that is just called "READING" grade one and it has lots of pages of two-sentence stories with practice lines that are missing one word of the story. You could use any/all of these for sentence block work.

You can also use any two sentences from any books/stories you are reading. Or you could make up your own...

I always make a word bank (list) for the "blocks" that need to be filled in. You can put these lists in a notebook or make a word wall.......this ensures that all of the words are spelled correctly.

I make my own writing paper. I just use 1/2 sheet of reg. copy paper with lines (including the broken middle line) on the bottom 1/2 with top half blank. I have my kids illustrate all of their 'stories.' A green cat story would have to have a green cat to properly illustrate the story. I copy my "lines" on both sides so ONE sheet of reg. copy paper will divide into TWO pages...copied on both sides creates FOUR pages or stories.
    I take a 1/2 sheet of construction paper and fold it short sides together, put the fold at the top so the cover opens UP and staple my 'story paper' on the left side so the pages turn like a regular book. I also put 'margin lines' on my paper so the staples don't impinge on the writing. A cover gives you an opportunity to discuss and create a 'title' for your book and to put your child's name as the 'author' and 'illustrator' which is another language arts' lesson for first grade. Since your child wrote this book, he/she should be able to read it. These books can be kept in a box/file folder and reviewed or used as 'real assessment' to show progress.

I know a lot of people think that 'copying' is cheating. It's not. I have taught hundreds of children to write using this method. You wouldn't hand your kid a violin or sit them at a piano and simply tell them to "play!" would you?? And even with lessons, you'd expect them to PRACTICE the same scales, the same piece over and over and over again before you expected him/her to play it well.......wouldn't you??

Using a sentence block allows your child to 'create' his/her own 'story' without all of the stress of having to make it all up from scratch. He/she gets to 'practice' writing a well-crafted, grammatically correct piece of writing with all of the words spelled corectly while still exercising his/her creative imagination by putting in his/her own words.

And I have to reccommend Mona Brookes' "Drawing With Children" to teach your child (and YOU) how to draw. We give kids blank paper and crayons (one of the two most difficult mediums to use) and say, "Draw something!" and that doesn't seem very fair to me either......but that's another topic.........more like 42 cents maybe.....deni.....

p.s. At the end of first grade, generally kids should be able to write a a complete sentence, question and exclamitory statement with proper capitalization, complete thought and punctuation. They should also be able to write a "short story" of 5 to 10 sentences. Paragraphs are usually introduced in 2nd grade and 3rd grade/4th grade are where a lot of writing constructs are taught. If you give your kid a good strong base in 1st/2nd grade by allowing them to practice...the rest should be easy.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11675210@N05/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Default Thank you so much!

Deni,
    I cannot thank you enough for your 42 cents! I am so going to try this with my son...and it sounds like it will make it fun and not as intimidating. I also appreciate both of your recommendations!

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom

You're very welcome! Post again sometime and let us know how it works out!!! deni...
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

You are very welcome! You do whatever works for ur child. As for me.. making my daughter finish one sentence last year is like pulling teeth without anesthesia!. So i had to do the 'whatever works'.
    Deni u never comeby often anymore...we need a lot of ur cents! Wait is this in pesos currency or in $?

*LOL* I've really missed you guys too!! It's been a really tough summer....computer problems, mom having terrible surgery and me still trying to get a visa for my son so we can go be with her....I'm trying to get back into visiting this site more again......I loved the daily Facebook postings but I've pretty much given up facebook.....too many people FINDING me!! *L* and too much time on the computer.....bleeeeeech! Anyhow, I'll try to do better.......deni.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

I hope everything goes well Deni.
    I do not like facebook, like you said everyone from everywhere can find me from friends, and friends of friends..that i dont even know if im friends with them. Harharhar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast