Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Books on Home Schooling?

Hello
    I am new to this and my son is only 2 1/2. Can you recommend any good books on home schooling? I would to find out as much as I can about this topic now.
    Thanks
    Ginger

Junior Member Newbie

Hi

I would recommend you read Ruth Beechicks The 3 R's. Really puts things into perspective.

Niki

So far I have read about two books myself. I used to teach 1st grade at a private school that was classical education. So The Well Trained Mind is an excellent choice. Plus there is a website that backs up all of her info in that book. I also bought (nook book) and read Homeschooling for the Rest of Us. This book has been helpful to give me an idea of expectations you place on yourself, and others can place on you about what homeschooling is and isn't. And that you can do this well, and not be 'perfect'. It made me realize that there is no perfect plan for any one person or family. Not that I ever thought there was perfection, but yet as women, we can sometimes place high expectation on ourselves and that we should not 'crash and burn' when those expectations are not met of our children and/or ourselves. It's a good reminder type of book for me. The Well Trained mind is so good for helping you think through what you can be doing at 2-3 yrs of age for your child... reading readiness activities, etc... I really love that book. And I loved teaching by the classical approach. Just a little of my input. I am sure there is much more out there.

Oh Thank you for replying. I'm just getting started and I'm already putting very high expectations on myself (not so much my son yet because he's only 2 1/2 I think the high expectations must come from fear of taking on such a big responsibility instead of relying on the school system to do it. Thank you for bringing that up because that is a good point. I can see how it would be easy to burn out and want to prevent that. I will look into both those books
    I'm just curious, as a teacher from a private school, why did you decide to home school?
    Thank you!
    Ginger

Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. Relax and enjoy it. I would suggest reading anything by John Taylor Gatto. He was New York City Teacher of the Year at one point. Now he is a homeschool advocate.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Eleven year old Dakota

Thank you Kathi and Niki=]