Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Thread: Calculators

Default Calculators

Hi,
    at what point in time can kids start using calculators vs writing everything out by hand?

I do not allow a calculator for basic computation. I don't let my kids use calculators until they need a scientific calculator sometime in Alg2. (It has been our experience that college profs just assume that students already know how to use a scientific calculator, so that is a skill I want my children to learn before college.)

I will allow a hundreds chart and a multiplication table to help a child who understands a concept, but is struggling with mastery. If that little extra crutch will allow him to continue moving forward conceptually, then I will let those 2 things sit out.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I totally agree with you Mandy. We use a hundreds chart and a multiplication chart. My son knows how to use them backwards for subtraction and division as well. But I want to wait until he truly has mastered these things before I allow him to use a calculator. I found it so sad when I was shopping and the computers all went down. The poor girl at the counter did not know how to add up my purchases or how to make change. Too many people rely totally on computers these days. And really that's all a calculator is, a mini computer.

So to answer your question Aleks, I would say once they have mastered the facts, then let them use a calculator. But I would still review the facts periodically just to make sure they kept their skills.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default Calculators

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Hi,
    at what point in time can kids start using calculators vs writing everything out by hand?
    My oldest is 12 and in grade 8. He is not allowed to use a calculator very often. Sometimes he may use it to see if his answer is correct.

I don't know when he will start using a calculator regularly. It may be a while before I'll allow him to do so.

Blog Entries

I was in a store the other day when the power failed. The boy at the register did not know how to add up a simple purchase or how to make change. I think we rely too much on things like calculators and yes even computers. They are making us illiterate.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota