Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connections Academy'

Has anyone used this program? I am wondering how it works. I don't personally know anyone who has used it and I am curious to know what is involved with this program. If anyone out there has used this in the past, please post. What did you like/dislike about the program? It is currently unavailable in our state as a free tuition program. How does it compare with T4L?

Blog Entries

I've never used anything except time4learning. I hope someone else will chime in on this question.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

We just left Commonwealth Connections Academy. I think it's fine if you're comfortable with a public school curriculum and feel like you need a lot of structure. That said, because they are public school based, your child will have to take the PSSAs. We felt the curriculum had become too focused on "teaching for the PSSAs". Our son tested poorly in math on last April's PSSAs (long story, poor testing accommodations for special needs children); CCA responded by doubling up on his math classes and assignments this year and removing him from social studies, art, and phys ed classes. They actually told us that he could "earn back the privilege" of social studies later in the year if he maintained a consistent high average in math. We finally decided that he was not getting a well-rounded education, and withdrew him from CCA.

They are not as flexible as they claim. Your child must finish all lessons each day, or they will roll over to the next day, and the whole mess will snowball. Also -- Connections Academy was recently bought out by Pearson, so time will tell what happens there.

We are enjoying the flexibility of T4L. The lessons are easy to navigate, and the ability to go backwards and forwards in grade levels is fantastic. I have been able to go back a grade level to review a skill that my son hadn't mastered, and gone forward a grade level so he could be challenged in a subject he had already studied.

Best wishes!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting us kow your experience. I don't think I could deal with that much structure. If a fun activity comes up, we want to be able to drop everything and go.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Connections Academy

We left Connections Academy in Ohio about a month ago. I have a 6th grader and it didn't work for us because she needs different grade levels for different subjects and they can't do that.

As mentioned in other posts, it is a Public School. I felt it was way too geared to the State tests at the end of the year. The pace was very fast. They have to cram so much information into the kids by the end of the year. I don't know if it is the case in other schools, but the level and depth of work between 5th and 6th grade was major.

Students participate in "Live Lessons" at scheduled times, which sounds good, but ended up being a big disruption to the flow of our day. I didn't feel they were at all helpful and some of the teacher's were really obnoxious.

I have a friend who has used Connections for 3 years with 2 of her kids (all elementary) and she has loved it. She did, however, say she was very concerned about her daughter being able to handle the 6th grade curriculum next year after looking over my daughters materials.

Anyway, if you have a student who is across the board at one grade level, it has a lot of appeal.

Curious to read others' experiences.
    Ann

Blog Entries

That's one of the many great things about time4learning. My son does fourth grade for the most part, But he still has a third grade course and he is working on second grade language arts extensions. I love that he can work at his level and at his pace.

Junior Member Newbie

We are still using Connections Academy for the moment. Apparently things changed significantly from spring to fall of this year with them. When I originally made the decision to use them it sounded like a wonderful, flexible program that allow my son to progress as he needed. Not so much! There is NO flexibility. We finished the first semester of K 2 1/2 months early and they will not allow us to start on the second semester until Jan. 20th when everyone else starts. So...we're on our own for curruclum for 2 1/2 months before we can continue on with Connections. Well, my son was already way ahead of what they are teaching for K and they still won't allow him to move on. So, we're stuck waiting 2 months to continue on with a program that is already too slow and too far behind for us. I don't particularly like our teacher. My son knew how to write before we started the program, and I explained that to the teacher, but she is still trying to force us to learn to write the way she wants her students to write. She says that his handwriting is beautiful, but it isn't the way that she teaches, so we need to make changes. hello?????? I don't feel that my son should have to learn to write again simply because his font doesn't match hers. Not to mention that the 'leg work' required with keeping up with attendance and turning assignments in...even in K...takes up an enormous amount of time that could have been spent teaching. So we're going to go the true homeschool route and do this ourselves. Wish us luck!

Blog Entries

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with Connections. That is one of the great things about time4learning, you can move ahead or go back as much as you need. You really do work on your timeframe and no one else's.

I just pulled my two youngest from Connections Academy Ohio. My oldest (8th grader) is staying in. It works for her. She's independent and does well.
    They are not nearly as flexible as they claim and I question all the teaching to take the standardized tests. Study Island, Thinking Works, etc.
    It just doesn't work for my youngest two. My son is very smart...but slow. He was 20 lessons behind and they just pushed him to get it done. I like to teach mastery and I don't move on until they get it.

Blog Entries

I totally agree with you Robin. It's much more important that they "get it" than it is to pass the test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast