Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Is this curriculum strong enough as a stand alone?

We have been homeschooling for 4 years now, and have experimented previously with T4L. Our kids loved it, and although I wish the parent features were improved as far as assigning and grading, we liked it as well.

We have always used A Beka for our core curriculum, and it has proven well for our kids. When my wife was ill for a prolonged time, we had to sent my son to a private Christian school. They increased in grade level in some subjects.

After facing nearly a $50k decrease in income this year, we are looking for ways to save, and this could be one of them.

My fear is that the curriculum is not strong enough as a stand alone. Can anyone ease our concerns??

I can understand your concern,But let me ease your fears!We have been using T4L for almost 3 yrs and we have not felt the need to add anything except things of interest (like something that is peeking thier curiosty ~animals,human anatomy,astrology ect ect ect)
    Just recently my daughter had her year end evaluation and she was at or above grade level in Language & Math and above grade level in science & Social studies.
    What I love about this program is how you can adjust the Grade level per subject,So this IMO is was really makes this program complete ,As your child can move up and down as needed & always be learning ,for no extra cost
    Im sure others will soon jump in and add thier thoughts...HTH
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

I am by no means a homeschool expert as this is our first year homeschooling. I was also homeschooled as a child. My daughter went to a private school which cost a good deal of money so I could NOT afford it this year. It was an awesome private school that teaches far beyond the state standards. In fact I absolutely hated to pull her out of there! But I had no other choice as I will NOT send her to public school. Here is what I have seen since I've had my daughter enrolled with T4L (since August 2010). She absolutely loves it and it seems to be exactly the levels that she left off with in the private school I sent her to last year. As the other poster said, you can always move them up a level if you feel it is not challenging enough. HTH

Junior Member Newbie

I too am no expert as a homeschool mom of two. However, this is our third year using T4L and both kids have tested in the 90% of their grade for all areas but Language Arts, where they are a whole grade ahead using T4L as a core curriculum. Both kids enjoy it but I do find we must supplement in math and writing. Maybe others don't but we do. Cheers, Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Devitt View Post
    both kids have tested in the 90% of their grade for all areas but Language Arts, where they are a whole grade ahead using T4L as a core curriculum.
    I have a second grader that does very well in subjects other than math. I have just started hs last week. Took him out of public school
    How do you test to see where their grade level is?
    Thanks!
    Sherri

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SherriD View Post
    I have a second grader that does very well in subjects other than math. I have just started hs last week. Took him out of public school
    Thanks!
    Sherri
    I am new to homeschooling and just started this week too and would love to know how I can test my son.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SherriD View Post
    Thanks!
    Sherri
    I am new to homeschooling and just started this week too. I would love to know how I can test my son to see at what level he is.

Junior Member Newbie

Some states require you test. I live in VA and we are required to do a test every year unless you have a religious exemption. Parents have to pay for and administer this test themselves. Unless they use other options. But it's not as difficult as it sounds. A lot of people I know use the CAT test. And a lot of them use Seton. Since it's quick, easy, and cheap. It costs $25 for the entire thing. They mail you the test and you give it to your kid at your leisure. Some of the tests have a time limit on the individual sections, but you can do it when you are ready to do it and that could be in the middle of the night if that's what works for you. And you can break it up into parts and give a small amount at a time. Depending on the specific test, of course. Then you mail it back and they grade it.
    Here's a link to the one I mentioned. If your state doesn't require it, then it doesn't matter, but some people like to see where their kids are just to know.
    Seton Testing Services
    Also, there is another option.
    This one is not official but it's free and online. It's California's standard tests. The released ones from 2003-2008. You can always print these up as a reference. But other tests will be different. The standards are different across the country. 2003 Through 2008 CST Released Test Questions - Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) (CA Dept of Education)
    My local school district even has some standards on their website. They tell you what your kid will be learning in the counties schools, per grade. It's a helpful reference guide just to see if they are learning the appropriate things. And from what I remember when I started T4L, they get your state info so they can use local requirements. Like the Standards of learning. VDOE :: Standards of Learning Information Center :: Released Tests
    But I don't like these too much. Someone else might though. I would try not to base everything off of test scores though. Some kids don't do well on tests and know the information. Just know your kid, and use these as loose guides unless you live in a state that requires testing.

Default used as stand alone for core subjects

hello there..I see this thread is a bit old but here is my 2 cents anyway
    My kids used t4l last school year. They both tested WAY ahead of their grade levels in all subjects. My oldest son skipped a grade and then went into all advanced subjects. In math, what he did in t4l 5th grade, he was doing in advanced math 6th grade at middle school this year. ***sigh***
    My youngest son made principals list for the first marking period and is in the advanced math program as well. They both went back to school because my older son was so excited about going to middle school and my youngest didn't want to h/s alone.
    We used t4l as a stand alone for our core, but added Spanish, piano (for youngest) and drums (for oldest) They also take TKD 3 x's per week. Oh and we added a spelling program.
    I will post in another threaed.....but......we are coming back after Christmas vacation!!!! sshhhhhhhhh don't want to jinx it We will add t4writing when we come back

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Calvaryhope View Post
    After facing nearly a $50k decrease in income this year, we are looking for ways to save, and this could be one of them.

My fear is that the curriculum is not strong enough as a stand alone. Can anyone ease our concerns??
    First of all, I am so very sorry for your loss in income. Our family has been hit financially as well, (Though not to the extent of what you're going through) and it has been very hard to change the way we live. (Romans 12:2)

Let me tell you though that we began Time4Learning back in 1997 after ten years of homeschooling and my boys went up more than they ever had in math and did exceptionally well in all the other subjects. Here we are in 2010 and we're still going strong.

I do think you need to add handwriting. (We use Handwriting Without Tears) to cover this subject. I also highly recommend Time4Writing. For $99 you just cannot beat it. I used it for my highschool son who is now in college and it was a lifesaver. Our teacher was Leslie and I loved that she relieved me of figuring out what was acceptable and what was not. I think I want perfection sometimes and need an unbiased person to help me wade through what's good and what needs improvement.

Our family adds bible, scripture memory, field trips and lots of wonderful books from the library that we read a loud.

HTH,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast