Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Daily/Weekly Planner

I'm new to homeschooling on my own this year. Last year we used Connections Academy, so everything was laid out for me, and I had to do minimal work. Well this year, it's just me, on my own. I've googled and searched all over on how to make a weekly and daily schedule, but I just can't seem to find any.

Can/would anyone be willing to share how they've done theirs? And could you give me a ruff idea of what I should include in the daily planner? Thanks so much.

I use the Well Planned Day! I can't say enough great things about it. It really helps our whole house run. Home Educating Family Publishing

Daily Schedule Lesson Planners Scroll down to the daily schedule forms donated by Kenetha Hodges.

Donna Young's Home School Weekly Lesson Planners Here are forms for weekly planner.

This year we are winging it and I am journaling about it. Until this year I have made my own 36week weekly schedules in Excel that are specific to what all we were using. I would be glad to give lengthy explanations on what I have done, but it sounds like right now you probably just need something like the Kenetha Hodges sheets to get you started.

My big advice on planning: I strongly discourage planning math for more than a week at a time and never try to look several years down the road. Math is mastery. Knowing how to do one thing enables you to be able to do the next and you never know when a chidl is going to need to squat on a topic. Just keep working.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I don't really use a planner for our school work. Since we don't have to report to any one I don't need those detailed records. I use the yahoo calendar on my computer to keep track of our appointments, outings, park days, and field trips. It links to my smart phone so I have it recorded in two different places. I also write things on a wall calendar so my husband will know where we are at. We do school work around our outside activities. I don't plan ahead on what we will do. We just work until my son's attention span is gone. The only time that changes is when I want to get a certain course or grade finished by a certain time. Then I count out how many lessons we have left to do and divide by the number of days we have left to work on them. For instance last year I wanted my son to finish third grade math by his birthday. We were able to finish it using this method.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks for the links and tips, everyone! Planning several years ahead, epp. I can't imagine that. Sometimes I can't see planning a month ahead. LOL I'm doing my best not to get overwhelmed and I'm taking this one day at a time!

Blog Entries

One day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time is what works best. The great thing about homeschooling is you don't have to plan every tiny detail for a year ahead. Relax, be flexible, and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBuffy View Post
    Can/would anyone be willing to share how they've done theirs? And could you give me a ruff idea of what I should include in the daily planner? Thanks so much.
    We're pretty flexible with scheduling and really just aim for a certain number of lessons per day/week in each subject. I use the basic edition (free) of Homeschool Tracker and love it for record keeping. Of course it's also ideal for planning and scheduling purposes. I simply open my child's backpack each evening and record the assignments completed and their scores, if applicable, to the tracker.

Since I have two children in two different grade levels and two different curricula this works well for me. It also provides tracking for "field trips" and "reading log" which are great for record keeping.

If your child is using T4L as a core curriculum you might not need a separate tool but since we supplement T4L with other materials such as ReadingEggs, LearningPage, and Handwriting Without Tears it allows me to track and schedule lessons that fall outside of the T4L scope.

Tanya

Blog Entries

I've heard lots of great things about homeschool tracker. I'm glad it works for you.