Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Daughter wants to skip senior year and homeschool...HELP!

So I need some advice...

First, let me start my saying I am a mother of 4, and I currently homeschool 3 of our 4 children. I homeschool a 5 year old, 7 year old, and 12 year old. My oldest daughter is 17, and up until now has continued at the public brick and mortar school here in town, Camden County High School. So here is my dilema...My 17 year only needs 3 credits to graduate (Math, English, and a History credit). She told me she wants to homeschool and get the last 3 credits done as soon as possible and then start college in the spring. I love that she has finally come to us and wants to be homeschooled, yet at the same time I don't know where to start for her. Currently, I use the K-12 Online School for the other 3. It works for us. However, for my 17 year old I'm not sure where to begin. So if anyone can please offer some advice at where to start and perhaps the avenues we should go that would be great. I look forward to any help anyone can offer

Thanks,
    Bettina

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Bettina, I'm homeschooling my 1st grader for the first time this year, but I did something similar at that age myself. I was homeschooled grades 7-9th and then went to public High School for 10th and 11th grade. 5 weeks into my senior year I'd had enough and told my parents I wanted out. We had started my 9th grade year through American School, a correspondence program based in Illinois and it was merely a matter of transferring my public school credits to American School which was actually already enough to graduate. I then entered college what would have been the second semester of my senior year. I believe you can do just 1 year though the program, It's worth checking into for sure.

Blog Entries

My little guy is only in fourth grade so I haven't thought much about high school as yet. But there are lots of people who homeschool high school. K-12 may be a good option for her. Another thing you might want to consider is letting her take classes at the local community college. Many small community colleges let homeschooled kids start as young as 14. They can receive credits for dual enrollment, high school and college credits. It sounds like she is ready to move on to a higher level of learning. So this may be a good option for her. I know a lot of the teens in my area are doing that. There are some other online high school programs that I've heard of, but if it were my child who only needed three credits I would let her take the college level classes to meet those three credits. I don't know if her current high school would let her receive a diploma if she did this. But if she already has college credits she wouldn't really need a high school diploma. It's something to look in to anyway.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Another option may be for her to take the three classes in the morning and work in the afternoon. Some kids do this in their senior year.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota