Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Newbie

Default free high school education

Being a tightwad - my elder brother told me to use a lot of vaseline on my hands but the youngest suggested the jaws of life - I am looking for a free high school education program online (free vineger tastes sweeter than honey). Many programs offered are too expensive for my taste. ANY IDEAS PLEASE.

Blog Entries

That' a tough one. My little guy is only in fourth grade so I haven't even thought about high school yet. You might want ti check out the 8th grade forums. There might be some ideas for you there.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

There is a program called Insight School, it is in several but not all states, it is a free public high school online. They send a laptop and printer to be used for class, that you have to send back when done. They have clubs, prom, graduation ceremony, and teachers. I was able to use this program as an adult to finish my schooling and thought it was really neat how it all worked. Good Luck.

Blog Entries

This sounds like something to look in to for those with older kids. Thanks for sharing with us.

Yca
    Blog Entries

Florida Virtual School has gone national. They're free also
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Blog Entries

I've thought about k-12 for when Dakota gets older. But it's not offered here. Maybe it will be for you guys.

Junior Member Newbie

thanks to all of you. That's great information. I will look into all the suggested programs.

Blog Entries

Good luck on your search.

Junior Member Newbie

It's hard to look for and find a "free" program to teach your kid. There isn't anything free in this world. I've always grown up with the philosophy that you get what you pay for. As a Business Major I learned the law of utility. Everyone is out to get something for themselves. I'm much more comfortable when I'm very certain what that something is. When I pay for my education (especially online based education) I make sure I'm getting what I pay for. K12 could be a good option but there are a ton of <a href="http://www.parkcityindependent.com/">accredited online high schools </a> online. Take a step back and think.."how are these teachers being compensated?" If it's by government grant or commission be careful. Good luck in the search.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast