Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default grade 1 how many lessons per day

hiya,
    can anyone tell me how many parts of a chapter we should do each day to complete grade 1 in a year. We will probably be having 4 weeks off per year, as my son likes the structure it provides each day (asd) and it only takes up 10 minutes per activity.
    we have been doing 1 part of a chaper in english each day for the last 2 weeks, havent started on the maths yet.

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to Time4Learning Parent Forums. What I do is go look at the lessons plans. If you look at Language Arts you will see that it has 376 activities for the year. Figure out how many days you will be doing school work and then divide 376 by that number of days. You can do this with each subject. My son is in third grade now. We usually spend about an hour and a half each day. We do as many lessons as we feel comfortable with. That usually amounts to 3 or 4 lessons in each subject. We do fewer lessons in science and social studies each day because there aren't as many of them. You will notice that for first grade there are a lot more lessons in language and language arts extensions than there are for math and science. You could probably do one learning activity a day or even every other day for math and maybe only one activity every other week for science. Hope this helps. You might want to check out the preK to 2nd grade forum to chat with other families in the same age group.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thumbs up

thankyou for point in right direction, i will look at the planner and pop across to the other forum you mentioned!

Blog Entries

Glad I could help. Have you joined your state forum yet? That's a good place to locate other t4l families in your area and for finding out about activities in your state.

hi, we are in the uk, so not sure whether you have a uk forum! I had a look over on the prek-2 board, doesnt seem very active at the moment, I will try doing what you said and divide up amount of activities depending on amount of days per week we are going to do. Many thanks!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think you're right. It doesn't look like there is a forum for members in the UK. You could go up to the Member Locator at the top of the page and search for others members in your area. I know there are several. The Member Locator tab is listed under Community.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am working on recommendations for each grade level. Here is what I have for first grade. I will edit this a lot before it's published, but it might help as-is. Recommendations are based on 160 days of school (which is twenty days less than the typical school year, to allow for times that lessons need to be repeated, kids are sick, etc.).

FIRST GRADE ARITHMETIC

Scheduling - 102 online lesson activities, 102 worksheets, 18 tests, 94 quizzes

Aim for two online lesson activities, worksheets, tests, or quizzes per day. This leaves 24 days for the hands-on practice that most students will require at various times throughout the math program. Because first grade math covers foundational concepts, the schedule should be kept flexible so that parents can provide extra practice as necessary. If your student doesn’t require extra practice, he or she will simply complete the program earlier.

Sample first week’s first grade math schedule:

Monday Stop and Smell the Flowers Online Lesson Activity #10147
    Stop and Smell the Flowers Worksheet #10147

Tuesday Stop and Smell the Flowers Quiz
    Day at the Beach Online Lesson Activity #10197

Wednesday Day at the Beach Worksheet #10197
    Day at the Beach Quiz

Thursday Going Bananas Over Ordinals #10092
    Going Bananas Over Ordinals Worksheet #10192
    Friday Going Bananas Over Ordinals Quiz
    Tutorial: Whole Numbers Online Lesson Activity #1B001

FIRST GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS

Scheduling – 376 online lesson activities, which INCLUDE necessary quizzes and tests. (Quizzes and tests are not separately indicated by their own icon at the bottom of the page as in some other subjects.)

Aim for two to three online lesson activities per day. It will be necessary for the student to complete three activities on 56 days throughout the year in order to finish the program during a typical school year.

An additional scheduling note: In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the core language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions, so they do double the number of activities. I have three reasons for this.

The first is because the core language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

The second reason is because both the core language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done consecutively, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

The final reason is because the language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the core language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

Sample first week’s first grade language arts schedule:

Monday Phoneme Isolation Online Lesson Activity #LA001
    Phonics Online Lesson Activity #LA002

Tuesday High Frequency Words Online Lesson Activity #LA003
    Sam: A Decodable Story Online Lesson Activity #LA004

Wednesday Phoneme Isolation Online Lesson Activity #LA005
    Phonics Online Lesson Activity #LA006

Thursday High Frequency Words Online Lesson Activity #LA007
    Pam and Pat: A Decodable Story Online Lesson Activity #LA008

Friday Phoneme Isolation Online Lesson Activity #LA009
    Phonics Online Lesson Activity #LA0010
    High Frequency Words Online Lesson Activity #LA0011

FIRST GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS EXTENSIONS

Scheduling – 289 online lesson activities (but see Note, below), 182 worksheets, 44 quizzes, 22 tests

Aim for 2-3 online lesson activities, worksheets, quizzes, or tests per day. It will be necessary for the student to complete three activities on 85 days throughout the year in order to finish the program during a typical school year.

Note: Each of the 22 chapters in the first grade language arts extensions includes a reader presented in four different formats: Read to Me, Read Along, Read By Myself, and I Can Read. This is so your student can use the version appropriate for his reading ability. It is not necessary for your child to read the same story four times. If you only require your student to read one version of each story, there will be 223 online lesson activities instead of 289.

Information to assist you in determining the best reader format for your child:

Read to Me – The program reads the story aloud to the student.
    Read Along – The program reads the story somewhat more slowly and highlights each word as it is read.
    Read By Myself – The program allows the student to read the story without aid, but selected difficult words are highlighted and the student can click on them to hear them read aloud. Other words are highlighted in an alternate color and students can click on them to hear them pronounced and defined.
    I Can Read – The program allows the student to read independently, but he can click on any word that he has difficulty with to hear it read aloud.

In addition, the worksheets provided for each version of the story are exactly the same, bringing the unique worksheet total to 116.

An additional scheduling note: In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the core language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions, so they do double the number of activities. I have three reasons for this.

The first is because the core language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

The second reason is because both the core language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done consecutively, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

The final reason is because the language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the core language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

Sample first week’s schedule:

Monday Pollution Online Lesson Activity #10259
    Pollution Worksheet #10259
    Sanders in the City Reader Online Lesson Activity #10260

Tuesday Sanders in the City Printable Worksheet #10260
    Comprehension Online Lesson Activity #10263
    Comprehension Printable Worksheet #10263

Wednesday Lesson Quiz
    Alphabooth Online Lesson Activity #10264
    Alphabooth Printable Worksheet #10264

Thursday Phonics Segmenting /ir/ Felt Board Online Lesson Activity #10291
    Phonics Segmenting /ir/ Printable Worksheet #10291
    Word Analysis R-controlled Vowels Online Lesson Activity #10292

Friday Word Analysis R-controlled Vowels Printable Worksheet #10292
    Blending Phonics Fun Factory Online Lesson Activity #10293

FIRST GRADE SCIENCE

Scheduling – 16 online lesson activites, 10 worksheets, 6 quizzes

Aim for one online lesson activity, worksheet, or quiz per week, or two per week and repeat the program at the latter part of the school year.

Science lessons are provided as a free bonus to students at some levels. First grade grade science lessons are supplementary. My children love these animated lessons, none of which require any reading. Children at this level benefit from repetition, so we repeat these lessons.

In addition, the language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the core language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

I round out a first grader’s social studies lessons by simply using read-alouds from the library. I like to use this Typical Course of Study and choose story books about the suggested topics. Since the emphasis at this age should be on learning to read, this casual approach to science has served my family well.

FIRST GRADE SOCIAL STUDIES

Scheduling – 13 online lesson activities, 6 quizzes

Aim for one online lesson activity or quiz per week, or two a week and repeat the program at the latter part of the school year.

Social Studies lessons are provided as a free bonus to students at some levels. First grade students are offered the supplemental social studies lessons intended for first OR second graders. The lessons are some of my favorites but, in my experience, most first graders aren’t yet able to appreciate them. If you do decide to use these social studies lessons for your first grader, do them again in second grade. A year is a long time to a six-year-old, and they probably won’t even remember that they’ve done them before.

In addition, the language arts extensions are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the core language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

I round out a first grader’s social studies lessons by simply using read-alouds from the library. I like to use this Typical Course of Study and choose story books about the suggested topics. Since the emphasis at this age should be on learning to read, this casual approach to social studies has served my family well.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!