Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Guided Reading Books....

Does anyone have any insight into guided reading books? My son was classified as an "Emergent Reader" in public school, and I want to be sure that I continue helping him read when homeschooling. Is there an AFFORDABLE place online to purchase books? (I also have a 2 year old daughter, so I don't mind buying the books since I will use them for her when she is ready for school)

I've checked a lot of sites and I can only seem to find teacher packs, where there are 6+ of each title. I (obviously) don't need 6 copies of the same book with only 2 school-aged children.

Thanks everyone!

Was this an AR test? Does it list an actual level of book that he can read?

Even if it doesn't give you an exact level, you can still go to AR BookFinder, click on parent, click on the advanced search tab. On this tab select Lower Grades Interest level and ATOS Book Level 0.0 - 0.9. Under Additional Criteria select award winners and where it gives you the choice of English or Spanish select English. This search should give you a nice selection of quality books below a first grade level. Then, you can either get them from the library or order them off of Amazon.

Of course, there are also Dr. Suess books, BOB books, and Nora Gaydos books.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thank you Mandy!

In our PS District, they follow a leveled reading program. DS #2 was on level D, and DS #1 was on level J. I've found, during my research online, that they generally don't sell guided reading books beyond level D. I found a few lots on eBay that I am watching right now.

I purchased the Spectrum line of education curriculum books, and their Reading books have a lot of easy to follow reading that gradually gets more advanced. I am going to have my son read these excerpts, in addition to any guided reading books that I am able to find online for the different levels.

I am going to check out that website now! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by HDavison View Post
    In our PS District, they follow a leveled reading program. DS #2 was on level D, and DS #1 was on level J. I've found, during my research online, that they generally don't sell guided reading books beyond level D. I found a few lots on eBay that I am watching right now.
    What company is this? Merrill, McCall-Crabbs, SRA?

Jane Ervin Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter is an inexpensive workbook series that may accomplish what you are wanting.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I have no idea what company they use. It was just little books that were sent home in a ziploc bag that the children had to read to their parents. Then you would mark them on a scale of 1-5, according to how well they read the book, and sign it.

Blog Entries

I have enjoyed reading the leveled readers with my son. They usually have either grade level or age level. If you buy them on Amazon.com you can usually get them for almost nothing. Often the shipping is more than the cost of the book if you buy it used. If you buy new they often have buy three get one free. You might want to try something like that.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks Kathi! I'm going to check out Amazon....I can't believe I never thought of that!

Blog Entries

We use Amazon all the time. With a Prime membership we get free shipping. Also, there are a lot of free books for the kindle. If you don't have a kindle you can download a program called Kindle for your PC. It's free and you can get it from Amazon. There are a couple of sites that send out a daily email with free kindle books. One is called Pixel of Ink. They usually have one or two children's books each day.

Blog Entries

Amazon also has a great series of science type books called Let's Read and Find Out. You can usually get them as a buy three and get one free.