Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Having trouble figuring everything out...

I just signed up with T4L today for my 8 year old starting 3rd grade. I realize it will take some time to get adjusted and navigating through the sight but there are a few questions I haven't been able to figure out on my own just yet...

1)Where are the printable worksheets that some parents discuss using?
    2)Why can't we utilize the assignments tab as parents if homeschooling, why is this only for schools?
    3)How is spelling introduced in the lessons??

Look forward to getting to know everyone, I find the forum community extremely helpful when starting new things.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Rebecca! Do give yourself a couple of weeks to dig up all the goodies in Time4Learning, and feel free to post here when you have questions.

The printable worksheets are available in several places. One place to look is below your student's lesson activity icon on his launchpad. You can see a picture of how that looks here: Printable Worksheets

The other place is within the lesson plans. When a worksheet is available for a lesson, you will be able to click where it says "Worksheets and Answer Keys" to bring up the worksheet. This is the same worksheet that you will find by clicking beneath your student's activity icon. If there is no worksheet available for that lesson, you will see an "N" on the icon in the lesson plans.

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has acquired a license allowing them to offer the program to individuals. Because the "Assignments" function was designed to be used in a classroom, it simply won't work for individual use. Time4Learning provides the flashing arrow to direct your student! Scheduling help can also be found in the Getting Started Guide. (Hover over "Help/FAQS" in the menu at the top of the screen and select "T4L Getting Started Guide".)

Spelling Lessons are available in the language arts extensions for grades four and above. Many programs do not introduce formal spelling lessons until a student is finished studying phonics. Parents who want spelling lessons for their younger children often use SpellingCity, which is free. Time4Learning provides suggested spelling word lists for parents who do not want to use the spelling lessons included in language arts extensions. Click on the grade level in the left sidebar of the page I just linked you to. As you can see, there are many options for spelling.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Welcome Rebecca,

I just wanted to welcome you to Time4Learning and tell you that I'm glad you're here.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Welcome Rebecca
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Yca
    Blog Entries

hey there!! come on in, put your feet up and grab a cup of coffee ... we're glad to have you here!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much everyone for your welcome, it's comforting to have an outlet to help me with this endeavor! It's a bit overwhelming taking on homeschooling my daughter so I'm already thankful for you all and look forward to getting to know you and learn from your experiences!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaC View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for your welcome, it's comforting to have an outlet to help me with this endeavor! It's a bit overwhelming taking on homeschooling my daughter so I'm already thankful for you all and look forward to getting to know you and learn from your experiences!!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Being a first time homeschooler, I find myself wanting to mimic what I remember about school. Spelling words are given out on monday, test on friday. I use SpellingCity.com. I searched for a 5th grade list, imported all the units and are using that. I basically found a school in Pennsylvania that looked organized like they knew what they were doing and copied their words.

FYI I didnt even know that Time4Learning had spelling!!! Learned something new!

Welcome Rebecca! I am new here also and I LOVE this place! Everyone is so helpful and encouraging that I really feel like I can do this! P.S. to firefly: I just found out today that T4L had spelling also...

Dakotamom