Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello everyone. New here and had a few questions.

Hello, this is my first post. I am interested in finding out information about home schooling my children. My oldest child is in a SDC classroom. He started Special Ed the end of Kindergarten. I feel he isn't where he is supposed to be and not being challenged at all. He is very bright. I'm in CA where the schools are in some serious trouble. I've thought about home school for years and now, it's getting to the point where I am very concerned. My son will be in middle school next year and I think I'm better of home schooling him at this point. Is it possible to home school him on the side? (at least) He has problems with the some of the mainstream kids at school calling him names and has been bullied.
    My daughter who is 4 is undergoing chemo to treat an optic pathway glioma (a type of brain tumor) will be in Kindergarten next year. I'm thinking if I start with her now, I'll be ok. I'm just torn on what to do and would love any feedback possible. Has anyone done both? What was the basis of your descision to homeschool and what do you do for socialization? Sports? Thank you for your time.

Blog Entries

Welcome to homeschooling and to time4learning. I have a fourth grader who has been using time4learning for four years now. We love it. I don't know about starting your daughter on time4learning. I don't know how she is responding to the chemo. It may be something she would enjoy or it may be too much effort for her. When I went through chemo two years ago anything was too much of an effort. But I know kids respond so differently than adults do.

As far as your middle schooler, I don't think I would try time4learning in addition to school all day. He probably just needs to relax and be a kid by the time he gets home and finishes his homework. My daughter pulled her son out of school because of bullying and his learning disabilities. He is doing great now at home.

Remember though that I'm just another homeschooling mom. These are just my opinions.

I would suggest that you check out the CA Parent Forums to be in touch with other families in your neighborhood. Also check out the forum for special needs.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota