Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Help Please!! Spelling and handwriting for 4th and 1st grades???

Hi,

We just switched from Abeka to T4L. Abeka was just not the right program for us. I love the Christian curriculum but academically we all stayed VERY frustrated!! This is our first week to do T4L. My kids seem to love it so far, as do I. Although, I am confused over how to implement the 4th grade spelling into my son's daily learning activities. We did unit 1 and their were 3 different spellings lists for that unit. Do you use each list for a different week or do you use all 3 for one week? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how do ya'll implement handwriting into this program? I could just use the Abeka that I already have but want to make sure I am not missing something with T4L.

And, is there spelling for 1st grade and I am just missing it?

Thanks in advance,
    Amanda

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Amanda, Time4Learning, like many programs, doesn't begin a formal spelling program until the children have mastered phonics. Parents who really want spelling for their younger kids often use SpellingCity , where kids can practice their spelling words with online games and even take their spelling test. Here is a link directly to a beginning spelling curriculum that they provide, which might be just right for your first grader, as it begins with words like cat and hat.

The spelling lessons in the fourth grade language arts extensions are set up a little differently than the rest of the program. Each list is expected to last an entire week, so your student should do one or two PAGES in that activity each day . . . not the whole activity! He can also go over to SpellingCity for some extra practice. I have input all of the fourth grade Time4Learning words at SpellingCity. Here is a link to my teacher page. You'll need to scroll down past all of my other lists to get to the lists whose titles begin with Time4Learning.

Time4Learning doesn't provide penmanship sheets, although SpellingCity DOES have handwriting worksheets that use your student's spelling words! There's a little video on this page that tells about handwriting worksheets.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!