Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Hi new to group and thinking about homeschooling my second grader

She has been in school since Kindergarten and all is going well but this year we are facing a lot of changes. We currently live in MD and my husband will be transferred to TX sometime this winter. Since the move is almost 2,000 miles we plan to stay in temporary housing while we search for a home.

My plan was to have her start school here in MD and she did last week then home school her when we moved to TX. Now I feel it would be best to start homeschooling her ASAP so when we move she won't have so many transitions.

I realize there are different rules from state to state. Anyway I thought I would just post and see if anyone has some suggestions of websites or share how they started homeschooling their child.

This is a big decision but my "heart" keeps telling me that at least for this year it would be best to homeschool my child. I just don't know anyone who has homeschooled and not really sure where to start.

So thanks in advance for your suggestions, stories, links, posts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi_123 View Post
    She has been in school since Kindergarten and all is going well but this year we are facing a lot of changes. We currently live in MD and my husband will be transferred to TX sometime this winter. Since the move is almost 2,000 miles we plan to stay in temporary housing while we search for a home.

My plan was to have her start school here in MD and she did last week then home school her when we moved to TX. Now I feel it would be best to start homeschooling her ASAP so when we move she won't have so many transitions.

I realize there are different rules from state to state. Anyway I thought I would just post and see if anyone has some suggestions of websites or share how they started homeschooling their child.

This is a big decision but my "heart" keeps telling me that at least for this year it would be best to homeschool my child. I just don't know anyone who has homeschooled and not really sure where to start.

So thanks in advance for your suggestions, stories, links, posts
    Hi Mimi,

Welcome I hear your heart. It sounds like you already have been led to homeschooling, but you need encouragement. I completely understanding as this was me back in 1998. I was working as a nurse supervisor, my son was in a public Kindergarten program and our life was on what I thought seemed a normal course.

Thirteen years later and I just graduated that oldest child from our homeschool and right at this moment I am sitting at the college library waiting for him to get out of his class I am also homeschooling his three younger brothers. Who btw, are at home getting dressed, eating breakfast, doing their chores and starting their Time4Learning!

Let me tell you that homeschooling has been the best thing we've ever done. My children's character had time to be formed without the influence of distractions. They are far from perfect children, but I cherish that they were able to take their time maturing, being kids. I love that we can pursue their passions and equip those hard areas.

My girlfriends husband is a Captain in the army and they are on their way to Virginia for 6mos and then to Waco Tx, 6 mos from now. I'm wondering where you are going to be stationed? She is a homeschooler and I now that there are a lot of military homeschoolers.

I highly recommend visiting the state forums where you are going to be living and ask questions. Get plugged into your state and local homeschool support groups. I truly believe that a lot of my success came because of the encouragement of other moms coming alongside me.

If you're on facebook, Time4Learning has a fanpage which was put together exclusively to encourage parents in the pursuit of excellent education.

I think you will love Time4Learning curriculum because it does all your lesson plans, record keeping and interactive teaching. You get to just come alongside and help your child if they get stuck, add fun projects, read a loud, take field trips, etc...,
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Junior Member Newbie

Thanks yes actually my daughter made my mind up the other night. From the first day of school this year she was crying and that is not like her at all. I know it is because of the move and upcomming changes that she is a bit overwhelmed. We are going to El Paso and we actually drove out there the week before she started school last week. The kids (I also have a 4 yr old) loved the trip and we had a great time in TX but she heard me talk about probably having to home school her for a bit. I have been obsessed about this all summer because we knew we were moving but were uncertain about when and where. Anyway monday night she woke up at 2am crying she was upset about going to school and we talked and after she calmed down and went back to sleep I got online and found this program. I also learned that in MD you need to give them 15 days notice if you plan to home school so today I put a call into the coordinator to get that started but only got to leave a message. (I joined the MD message board)

My Husband was against this he wanted her to stay in school until we move then home school her but in my heart I know that isn't the right thing for her at this time. It is a lot of changes for her to face and I think by starting her home schooling now it will give her stability plus make moving away easier. So LOL we convinced Dad to let her home school now but I still need to get all the "legal stuff" done here in MD. I'm praying it goes quickly because she really doesn't want to go to school tomorrow but she loved doing the demo's online today. She is always keeping a journal and drawing and writing stories on her own so I really think this is going to be a positive experience. I'm still not sure if we will continue home schooling for third grade but who knows this situation might actually change how my children are educated.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words my daughter told me she is excited and scared about the move and honestly I'm very excited and a bit anxious about home schooling. I'm sure we both will do just fine but I needed some encouragement

Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling or not?!

Hi Mimi!
    I was homeschooled for several years and genuinely enjoyed it. I know different personality types respond differently, but I also believe you know what is best for your child. We have them for such a short time, that it seems any time we are able to spend with them we should!
    I just began homeschooling my son and so far it is wonderful! Already he asks questions about going to school like he has seen in cartoons. I just explain to him that for now we do school at home, and he seems fine with it!
    As a side note, I do think it is important for home schooled children to have a healthy amount of interaction with other kids. That, of course, determined by you!
    I found a website for beginning homeschooling that may be helpful. Here's the link if interested...
    Homeschooling ABCs - Homeschooling How-to's from A to Z

I think you made a really good choice. We moved to a new State last year and my son just did not want to start a new school for sixth grade. Homeschooling went wonderfully. In fact, I couldn't help but worry about teaching a middle schooler but, his end-of-year standardized tests had him at a post high school level. I kid you not. I am now homeschooling my daughter as well. She is in second grade and was diagnosed with dyslexia last year. She has learned more in the month and a half we have been homeschooling than she learned all last year.

Try not to stress and have fun with it. Don't be afraid to just wake up one morning and ask her if she'd rather do schoolwork or go on a 'field trip'. My children love when we do that. Also, join a homeschool group in your new State. The homeschooling day is much shorter than a typical in-school day so get involved in different groups and activities. You'll do wonderfully