Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default home school to public school

I am about to start my child in homeschooling because of bulling. My son is in the 5th grade. We may end up moving during the summer what happens if we want to put in back in public schools? How does this work? When he goes back will he process into the 6th grade? Please explain how this works.
    Thank you
    Misty

Blog Entries

How they place your child totally depends on the school district that he goes into. He should go in to 6th grade. However, some school districts may want to test him before they place him in 6th grade. Sorry I can't be more specific.
    Last edited by fairylover; 01-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Hey there! While I have not tried to place my kiddos back in public school, I do have homeschool friends in GA who have. Basically, you need to be ready to submit copies of all of their homeschool records (what they worked on, how they scored, etc.). Also, if your child completes a recognized standardized test before returning to public school, you may be able to use those scores for placement. If they haven't done a test like that, the school board may tell you that you either need to have your child take a standardized test or they will need to take a placement test. It's really up to the school board for the district as to what they require.

Hope that helped, at least a little...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek, called Mama by two incredible boys.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 10th year (2014-15) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Katie.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Thanks for the info Katie.
    Most welcome!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek, called Mama by two incredible boys.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 10th year (2014-15) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.