Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default homeschooling 2 of my boys. Help

I started my oldest in time4learing last year.. He did great.. Now I put my youngest in it and boy let me tell ya.. Im running circles between the two.. Can anyone give me advice on how to teach two at the same time with a good lesson plan.. I have one yelling for me on one thing and the other son yelling for me on his stuff.. My oldest is doing 1st and 2nd grade and my youngest is in the kindergarten level.. I feel like im going bonkers.. lol I thought about doing one child on the program while i work with the other.. but im trying to get a good routine down doing them both.. Help......

I wish I could give you some magic spell that would allow one child to be silent and work independently while you attend to the other. Unfortunately, some of this may just be the age of your children and will require time. Fortunately, some of it is training the children and some is learning how best to organizing your schedule.

As you don't want to have one child one the program and another doing something else, look at your schedule for other things you can change. Is there something like social studies or science that your oldest can do while you work with your youngest? Those subjects shouldn't require your attention. Look things you can train. Train your boys to do something other than yelling. Teach them to raise their hand, put their hand on their head, or put their head down rather than screaming. If the problem is more of a focus problem, don't get sucked into a discussion. Just say one word- like focus. These are some things that can change now.

OTOH- this is mostly just age appropriate behavior. They are both very young and probably bothof them need a lot of your attention. Some of this will change naturally as they get older.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I totally agree with Mandy that this is age appropriate behavior. Maybe you could have one child work on handwriting or coloring or something like that while the other is doing time4learning. Then switch them up. The child in kindy won't need to spend as time with school work as the one in first/second grade.

I think the first thing to do is relax. Pour yourself a cup of tea and take a few deep breaths. If it's starting to feel overwhelming to you, let the boys run around for a while and play some high energy games. Then when they calm down, they can do some more work.

Good luck.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks for the advice, I am gonna try to have one do coloring and workbooks while the other is doing time4learning and then switch... Thats what my goal is anyways.. Ill see how that goes... Thanks again..

Blog Entries

Have one play with legos while you work with the other. Maybe they can build something for you to look at after you finish with the other child. Maybe have them use tangrams. Tell them you are assigning "project time" which is to be done only while you are on the computer with the other. Hopefully that might make it seem more important to them. The project could be the legos, tangrams, art project... Change it up every few days or make one project last 2 days. One project that is always fun is to give them a bag, bucket, or whatever you like, filled with various objects such as a popsicle stick, twine, rock, glue, cardboard, foil, toothpick, leaf...whatever fun or different types of things you choose. Their mission is to create something, a new invention. They must create it and be able to describe how it works and why someone would need or want it.
    Last edited by jpenn; 09-05-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Blog Entries

Jackie that sounds like a great idea. The project could take a few days to complete too. One day to gather objects. One day to design. One day to decorate. I love it.

Junior Member Newbie

I've just started this week, so this might be me next week but I have two boys who are 13 months apart in age (4 1/2 and 3 1/2) plus a one year old baby girl underfoot. So far, I have the two of them on seperate computers in the same room, both with headphones. The older one wants more help, so I work with him most of the time and then help out with little brother here and there. At this point, I'm just trying to keep little brother on simple stuff so he doesnt need much help. And when it gets too overwhelming, I put little brother in front of the tv, lol. Yeah, don't take my advice

Blog Entries

There are some great educational videos out there for your little one. Or for both your boys. Letter Factory is wonderful to help the kids learn their letters.