Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling several different ages... need advice.

Hi there... we are super new in the homeschooling world. I am curious about families that have kids of different ages homeschooling. How do you organize your day? We use time4learning for our main curriculum and workbooks too. Right now I am running between 3 computers working with my three. I am wondering if I need to work with my kids one at a time. We have just been homeschooling for 3 weeks now and I am still working out what will work best for our family. Anyone have any advice for me. I guess my main worry is making sure each kid is absorbing what they need to learn.

By the way I have a daughter in 4th, a son is 2nd and a son in 1st. Thanks!

Jenny

Jenny, I am new to T4L but have been H/S my kids for a while I can tell you what works best for me. I have 6 but only 4 are at schooling age. I figure out what child needs the most help, can one of the older ones help a younger one? For example can your daughter help your youngest son while you work with your other son? I am also open to working for smaller chunks of time but have to work an extra day. hope this helps you a little

For our two kids what I do is get my oldest started (she is in 3rd grade), while she is doing her lessons I get my youngest( he is just shy of 4yrs) started. For him unless its something fun like painting or matching I am with him helping all the way. After I am done which ususally only 1/2-1 hr with him I go and review what my daughter has done so far. I ask if she understood it all, if I notice a low grade or she says she had trouble understanding I will go thru her lesson again. If she is good I may assign more just depends.
    Pretty much I only sit ,help,step in ect with my daughter unless I feel the need or if she asks...with my son I always do..
    I think you should go off your children needs..If they seem capable of working alone then let them if they seem like they need that one on one then do that...
    HTH Good Luck ;-)
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Hi, Jenny, welcome to T4L forums. I have two daughters, 7th & 5th grade. They have been always been homeschooled. I just tell you what works for my family. When I started I had the same issue. Once we started school and they were into the subject that they knew what was going on I would just let them be independent but if they had questions I was there. Now of course there are times I would sit down and hover over them but that was if I knew they would probably need extra help. Like math I pretty much sit down with them because it is also useful for me to relearn some of stuff.

You will find your niche, Jenny, and remember you can take bits and parts of all the advise you get and put it to what works for you.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

Junior Member Newbie

I am new to home schooling and am concerned with my son starting of right. I have been doing some reading together with him and started looking at curriculum for a 1st grader. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jess
    My son loves his Joovy Zoom 360

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by j.arden View Post
    I am new to home schooling and am concerned with my son starting of right. I have been doing some reading together with him and started looking at curriculum for a 1st grader. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jess

Hi Jess! Welcome to homeschooling! It's a unique journey with major rewards.....finding curriculum that is ;-). We did a bit of trial and error and finally found what works for us. We use T4L for Language Arts and the Extensions. They are fun and interactive and our kiddos love the animation. We use Saxon Math because it's very hands-on which makes learning math concepts easier to understand. We've used Saxon K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade and plan to start 4th grade in April. You can find some great deals on the homeschool kit too if you shop around online. I wouldn't recommend getting the manipulative kit because it's pricey. We purchased them at local and online teaching stores for much cheaper.
    We supplement math with T4L if they kids need more reinforcement on a subject (ex. reading an analog clock) but there aren't many concepts they don't get because Saxon is very thorough. We really like "A Reason for Spelling"...actually many of the "A Reason for" curriculum such as the science and handwriting too. The student workbooks are full colored text and very kid friendly. If you consider "A Reason for..." curriculum, you do NOT need the teacher's manual for handwriting but you will need it for spelling. The spelling has weekly devotionals and a themed text at the beginning of each lesson (1 x wk). My kids love the lessons learned from the text. It also has lots of games and different methods of learning to spell such as word shape boxes, writing words in shaving cream, spelling words using a voice recorder, etc. As for science, we really like it. It's basically a science lab manual. Each lesson is a different activity, experiment, or lab. It will probably need to be supplemented but overall it's a good lab book. The supply box is crazy expensive. You can purchase all of the items online or locally for a fraction of the cost. I spent under $30 on all the supplies but they are sold in a kit for well over $100. I can't really offer much help with the social studies curriculum because we are still searching for the right fit for our family. My kids aren't doing well with T4L's social studies because it's boring and is a LOT of reading. It doesn't resemble the language arts and math sections at all. We used McGraw Hill last year and the kids learned so much and actually enjoyed social studies. This year we tried T4L and they both have a "C" in the class. I think we might go back to McGraw Hill. The student text book was beautifully illustrated in full color and taught a variety of topics in an easy to understand format. And finally, reading.....get "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"...hands down, without a doubt! Teaches non-readers to read at the 2nd grade level in just 100 lessons! Used it with my boys and now getting ready to use it with my soon to be 3 yr old. I also use it to tutor kindergarteners and it's amazing! You can get it from the library or purchase a copy for about $15. By far the best purchase I've ever made!
    Good luck and remember to learn your child's learning style and go from there. He'll guide you as you search for what will work best for him. Happy hunting !