Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Question How long should a 3 year old work?

I have a 3 year old boy and would like to start him on the preschool program...primarily as a way for me to see if homeschooling is going to work for us.

When we start how long should he work on the lessons at one time? Any other tips for parents of preschool age kids?

Thanks!

Hey
    My son is almost 4yrs and we just finished the T4L Pre-K prgram. At this age I would suggest letting him kinda lead the way on that, If he wants to only spend 10mins or 20 or even an hour let him. I know for my son some days he would get on do half the lesson and be done others he would do a few lessons. So don't feel like you have to do a set time or "finish" 1 grade per year at this age. The truth is it took my son 1 1/2 yrs to finish the pre-k but that was okay because he had fun and learned to enjoy learning and now he just started Kindergarten at 4yrs and is technically ahead, but if it takes 2 yrs to finish it will be okay because thats the point of home-schooling being able to let your child learn at thier pace , at least thats how I feel about it
    Also try not to judge your entire home-school future on this year because home-schooling at 3 is different then 5 ,8 ,10 ect ect .. Just take it one year at a time
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS