Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default I think we're trying to do to much

Not sure if this should be here or in Special Needs.

The whole point of homeschooling was to give Gabriel the ability to learn on his time table and work with his issues. He is on the Autism Spectrum with anxiety and sensory issues and needs to take frequent breaks and not be overwhelmed but I think I'm overwhelming him.

I'm following what the lesson plan online form told me to follow and we're already clashing because he gets tired and set off and upset because there's so much to do but I don't want to mess up our first year by not doing enough but at the same time I can't keep overwhelming him.

We're actually taking Friday's off right now with the exceptions of field trips, reading and documentaries, etc because I work ontil 2pm on Fridays and by the time we get ready to get going it's getting late and he can't focus at all. But, that makes us do more work every other day of the week.

Sorry for the run-on sentences. I'm trying to find the best way to do this. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

Gabriel is in the 5th grade right? Is he doing level 5 in all of his subjects on T4L? Is able to do the level of the lessons and just not the amount of work or is he struggling with the level?

Without the specifics, assuming that he is capable of doing the level but not the amount, my suggestion would be to consider backing off of science and social studies.

Science is a survey subject. He is never going to know all there is to know about science and the topics in elementary school are pretty basic. I think I may would consider going through the animated science lessons beginning with level 1 and just letting him watch the animated videos. Here is the list of the animated videos.

Level 5 also has an obscene number of social studies activities. I wouldn't try to do more than one of those a day. (Once again history, like science, is a survey subject, so he will never know everything there is to know about history.) Instead of planning to cover them all, I would print out the level 5 social studies scope and sequence and go throught the activities either picking those where I knew he wasn't familiar with the topic or those I knew he would enjoy the most. After we finished all of those, if we finished all of those, I would continue with the rest of the activities. Or, another thought, eliminate all the flat out US history and cover the US history portion through videos. There are a ton of videos out there for US history- just check your library. With this option he will have touched on all the topics covered in T4L, but for the US history he will just have used another format.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Yeah, his in 5th and it's just the amount of activities. He's doing awesome in math and I think the worst one for him is the LA Extensions. Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely look into doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    We're actually taking Friday's off right now with the exceptions of field trips, reading and documentaries, etc because I work ontil 2pm on Fridays and by the time we get ready to get going it's getting late and he can't focus at all. But, that makes us do more work every other day of the week.
    I also wouldn't do this. Go ahead and take Fridays off, but instead of cramming in extra lessons tell him he has weekend homework. Most 5th graders do have homework over the weekend. To keep up with math, I would have him do a lesson of math over the weekend. I thin k LA and LAx have few enough lessons that you can just do about 1 activity four day a week.

Also, here are 34 free brainpop science videos that you could mix in with the T4L videos. Oh, and don't forget Bill Nye the Science Guy.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I also wouldn't do this. Go ahead and take Fridays off, but instead of cramming in extra lessons tell him he has weekend homework. Most 5th graders do have homework over the weekend. To keep up with math, I would have him do a lesson of math over the weekend. I thin k LA and LAx have few enough lessons that you can just do about 1 activity four day a week.

Thi sis great! Thank you so much!

oops, that was supposed to be a quote!

Blog Entries

As usual Mandy gives great advice. I too would just do a four day school week. Another thing you can do is break up the day. Since he struggles with Language Arts, do that in the morning or whatever time he is freshest. Then do math at a time when he is fading since he finds it wasy. Spread the work out. Maybe fifteen minutes in the morning. Another short period in the afternoon and one in the evening. Let him work at his pace. With my son, I often read the science and social studies to him while he is building legos on the floor. I think it's important that he hears the material but I really could care less if he remembers it. If and when it comes up that he needs to know something, he can look it up on the internet. I see no reason whatsoever for them to know which explorer found which part of the country at which time. I just don't. All that kind of information is available online. Math is important. Language Arts is important. Let him focus on them. I don't know if you have to do any reporting or testing in Vermont. Probably the people on the Vermont Parent Support Forum can help you with this is you do need to fo testing or write a portfolio or anything like that.

To me the most important thing is that they enjoy learning. If it is too much of a struggle for him, then it's not fun. Back off until you get to a level that is comfortable for him.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you!
    Yeah, I had to fill out a ton of paperwork and have the curriculum approved by the board of Ed before we were allowed to homeschool and I have to have a portfolio and/or testing at the end of the year. I'm good with the portfolio but I have to make sure he does everything I wrote down in the paperwork which was basically the T4L 5tn grade curriculum straight off the website plus some Vermont history.
    I really like your ideas though and reading to him while he has Legos is awesome because Legos is one of the things he uses to hold while he works.

Blog Entries

A portfolio is much better than testing for most of our kids. You probably can get by if you complete a good portion of the work. I think I have heard in some states you have to complete 80 per cent of your original curriculum. I'm sure you'll do fine. Do you turn the portfolio in to a supervising teacher or to the school board. My daughter lives in another state. She has to turn her portfolio in to a supervising teacher. Her homeschool group gave her the name of a teacher who would work with her to make the reports look good at the end of the year.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota