Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default It's the most wonderful time of the year....

You know, when you are pretty much stuck visiting with family you probably only see once a year who really don't know you, or your children, and really have no clue.

Yep! Went to an extended family holiday party (my husband's family no less) and got cornered and the 3rd degree interrogation by one of my husband's cousins. FUN!

She is older. She was always a die hard upper level management career woman. She had one child. Her husband is a teacher.

I'm a mom with 3 and will probably have another some day. I left my career 5 years ago. I homeschool ( of course ). She had lots of "questions."

What I hated the most was I lost my own voice and self-confidence in everything talking to her. She stepped right into that boss role where she asked without asking and implied without implying. I know, weird. I keep asking myself if I'm just sensitive. And yes maybe that is part of it. But it was the most uncomfortable conversation about my life I've ever had!

UGH! I hate that. I don't have any killer words of wisdom for you, but did want to empathize with you...I get it, been there, suffered through that.

It helps me to revisit my focus...revisit WHY we chose this path for our family. And then to evaluate-are we meeting those goals? Is it working for our family? Then I can sort of (after the fact) tune out the naysayers and know it alls.

Those are the worst conversations to have. Having them with family is even more un comfortable, in-laws adds that much more to that ugh!
    I have so been there and I have learned that unless some one seems really seriously curious and are not asking out of ways to be able to put in their own umm "opinion" Then I always make a way to nip the talk in the butt! I will change the conversation or just leave ;' )
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Upping and leaving was difficult. I was LITERALLY cornered. We were at very VERY busy winery. Our tables were crushed in the corner. It was standing room only. I had one of the few seats and a baby in my arms. I would have had to trample her to get up! (Maybe I should have!)

And changing the subject was tricky. She never addressed homeschooling directly. Her questions were really indirect. It is hard to describe. She started with something innocent like "Does your son play an sports with the rec league?" He does play sports! I was happy to talk about that. But then the next thing was "well you know how important it is for your children to get out and be around others." Umm.. yeah! Didn't I just say we were?

Just weird. Very weird.