Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie *iroCc* Babydoll's Avatar

Question Is learning the grade level enough?

Hello, new to this forum... I have been homeschooling my 3 children for a year and a half now, and really enjoy it... They are all in different grade levels. I have 1 in 4th, 1 in 3rd, and my baby is in Kinder.
    My question is...
    The grade level that is given to you in the top corner, to show the childs progress and level completed, is that actually enough for them to be where they are needed? Or would it be best to have them go back to the very beginning and learn what is listed in the grade level bubbles?
    Example if it shows that they are needing work in a particular area covered in the previous grade level, such as grade 2 math, would it hurt to go and complete the entire grade level again? As a recap of the previous grade level.
    Or is that a bit much????

Like I said new to this.

Thanks for all the help & God Bless
    *iroCc* Babydoll

Hi! It might not be necessary to do ALL of the lessons in the previous grade....you might start with the quizes or tests and then just review the lessons that obviously need review. Just a thought.......deni......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11675210@N05/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Junior Member Newbie

As you have mentioned your kids are still you and you do not want them to get bored as you go along. I suggest not to give them too much load as they will easily loose their interest. If you really need or you think it is really important for them to retake the level then go ahead and do it. Make sure to make the "review" a bit more interesting compared to what you have done previously. The main goal of doing this is for your kids to stay interested on the activities.

We pulled my youngest from public school at the end of 1st grade, so I chose to cover both 1st and 2nd grade math and English during her second grade year with T4L. If you know what was covered in the schools prior to starting T4L, then it should be easier to go back and review the topics not yet covered... if you don't, then try what we did, which was to take the chapter tests for the previous grade. If my daughter made lower than an 80 on a test, then she had to do the corresponding lessons. Saved time, and made sure that there were no gaps in her math and English foundation!

We love T4L, so we expect to get through 8th grade with just this from here on... Though my child is aware that this curriculum will put her far enough ahead of her public schooled friends, that she probably can't ever go back into their grade level!

JC

jcbsews,

Are you using *only* T4L for homeschooling and nothing else? I am asking because I am new to this and I am planning on homeschooling for the first time this year. My son will be in 2nd grade, but needs catching up in the Language Arts and Reading area. I am trying to come up with a 'game plan' for us...

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom

just thought i'd add our recent experience because it just might answer this question - i have two daughters who are rising 4th & 7th graders - the 4th grader was strictly homeschooled, the 7th grader was in a public B&M school for k & 1st then skipped 2nd and was homeschooled for 3rd thru 6th - last school year they were really bugging me about wanting to go to a B&M school and, like an answered prayer, i then heard about a new charter B&M school opening in our area - i enrolled them for this coming year and two weeks ago i had meetings with their teachers to determine grade/level placement

the school had already informed me that some homeschooled students might be required to take a placement test and, since both my girls have test anxiety, i was a bit worried - however, i went in with all my records from T4L (with the exception of a reading tutoring program for the 4th grader along with health/pe, art and the occasional educational video for both, T4L is the ONLY curriculum we used) and the teachers were VERY impressed - not only did they say my girls would NOT be required to take placement tests but they also felt from looking at my records that T4L might be more comprehensive than state standards AND that my girls should possibly be placed in HONORS classes!!!

my oldest daughter (who is attending a different charter school) was homeschooled for kindergarten but i used my own curriculum - when i tried to put her into a B&M public school for first grade, they completely ignored everything we'd worked on for the previous year and her placement test score (she missed 3 points out of 80+) and made her repeat kindergarten _ she spent the year bored out of her mind - needless to say, it left a really bad impression on me and i had been VERY apprehensive going into those teacher meetings last week - what a relief, though! (and, btw, my oldest dd stayed in a B&M for k thru 3rd then i pulled her out and homeschooled her for 2 1/2 years during which time she "skipped" a grade and is now back on the grade level she would have been if the schools had recognized her homeschool kindergarten year - she now attends an online public charter school and she's making all a's and b's!)

wow...didn't mean to get so long winded! my basic point is that, YES, T4L can be enough!

jenn

Mine is in grade 2...and im using T4L for our core plus additional supplements (couple of workbooks and free online links).
    In T4L Language Arts he will learn a lot of phonics/reading/writing.
    In Language Arts extensions a lot of 1.) stories where he can listen to it (read to me) or read along or read by myself. 2.) segmenting/blending/rhyming words.

I used all those read to me/read along and read by myself last year for practice. Its kind of repetitive but i want my daughter to read fluently. And it worked.
    Now shes in grade 2 we only do the read by myself. I'll say T4L helped my daughter a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamom View Post
    jcbsews,

Are you using *only* T4L for homeschooling and nothing else? I am asking because I am new to this and I am planning on homeschooling for the first time this year. My son will be in 2nd grade, but needs catching up in the Language Arts and Reading area. I am trying to come up with a 'game plan' for us...

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom
    2nd grade with T4L last year was our first year homeschooling too! Yes, we are using just T4L this year for BOTH my kids, mostly... We do art and dance through an outside co-op, music through a different homeschool program, and play hockey (my 13yo DD) and homeschool league soccer (both). But for core academics, both my 8th grader and my 3rd grader are doing only T4L. I take that back, I have a 3rd grade spelling workbook I got at Barnes and Noble, but there are spelling lists on the T4L parent lesson plan pages, so you don't need a book for it if you want to include it. We didn't last year for 2nd grade...

2nd grade is still a little light on formal Science and Social Studies, BUT the LA Extensions cover those two topics fairly well, so I made a lesson list and included relevant LA Ext lessons to cover Science and Social Studies topics. 3rd grade is very complete!

For my 8th grader, who'd never done T4L before, we are doing the 7th grade US History (I was told there are some families who use it as a high school class, it's very good!), and I pieced together the physical science topic lessons from 5th and 6th grade Science. Your biggest problem with a student who starts from the beginning will be to get more Science and Social Studies as those topics drop out in higher grades... But until at least 6th grade, I find T4L to be very comprehensive. You CAN add other things, but you don't have to!

JC

Oh thank you for your detailed reply! That is very helpful. I didn't realize (or just didn't remember) that there was spelling lists on the T4L lesson plan pages! I will have to review these. I had just ordered a spelling book from another company...

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom

Iím homeschooling my 8-yo. We enjoy it very much. Basically, I teach DD according the curriculum of the public school of my state. Besides, I use beestar (a curriculum-based online program) to help me find out whether Iím teaching the right thing. Because there are many kids from different states using beestar, DD can compete with them and I can also get what level DD is at. It helps a lot. Anyway, good luck!
    Lisa