Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Learning to Type

Are there any programs on this site that will allow the kids to play with typing - perhaps challenging them to type fast and count mistakes - or something that will teach them proper hand placement and movement over keys? If not on this site, does anyone have other resources?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning doesn't address keyboarding skills, but here's a great (FREE!) site that does. It's one of our favorites. I'll link you right to the typing games, but check out the rest of the site because there's some great stuff on there. For the typing games, I'd start with Learn to Type in the bottom, right row.

Learn to Type

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

We use Talking Fingers (www.talkingfingers.com) which also teaches phonics and Typing Pals Jr. (www.typingpal.com) which is just typing based, hand/finger placement, timing and score keeper. She seems to like Talking Fingers best because it's more interactive with stories behind the typing practice. Wish I knew about the free one before these though. I'll be sure to check this one out
    Christy

Default Typing

Hi. We use dancemat typing for beginning to learn finger placement. There are alot of free games on the net for practicing. Find dancemat on BBC website.

Karen

thank you! thank you! thank you!!!

It is so fun to see your child so excited to do these things... cute little buggars!

What age should a child begin learning to type? My son is almost 3 and recognizes letters pretty well, but can't write yet. He also understands how to use the mouse and shows interest in typing like mom does. Should I begin using one of these keyboarding websites yet or wait?