Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Lesson Plan Help

Hi all! I'm brand spankin' new to this board.....and to hsing. Just starting kindergarten with my 5-year-old son this August. I'm wanting to get a lesson plan started so that I stay 'on track' and so that I'm not scrambling every day trying to figure out what to do. I also have a one-year-old so time is of the essence! We're using a mixture of items for curriculum....Handwriting w/o Tears, Real Science 4 Kids, Math U See, and a tons of items for history/geography and reading/phonics. My questions are:

1) How do you even come up with a daily lesson plan? Seems like a simple question to answer, but when I sat down to do it, I got a bit overwhelmed.
    2) How far in advance do you plan? A week? A month? Etc.
    3) Do you use a book or a program on the computer to keep track of the lesson plan?
    4) Do you allot a specific time each day for each subject....or do you just allow your child to decide the time limit?

TIA!!

1) How do you even come up with a daily lesson plan? Seems like a simple question to answer, but when I sat down to do it, I got a bit overwhelmed.

I use word doc to make my lesson plan.

Once a week

3) Do you use a book or a program on the computer to keep track of the lesson plan?

I have an icon of the lesson plan on my screen, this way i can edit if i need to add or delete a subject.

4) Do you allot a specific time each day for each subject....or do you just allow your child to decide the time limit?

Its whatever time we finish, no specific time.

Blog Entries

Hi, Mom of 3 here, only 1 (5th grader) is using t4ling the others are to little just yet.
    Here is what we do....

1) How do you even come up with a daily lesson plan?
    I am a have to have it written down in a book type person. So we use a lesson plan book. I write down how many things I want him to accomplish a day. We tried the telling him what to do but having it in writing has worked so much better.

Example of our day MIGHT look like this...

Language Arts
    2 Lessons
    Language Arts Extension
    1 Lesson 1 Quiz
    Math
    2 Lessons 1 Quiz
    Science
    1 Lesson
    Social Studies
    1 Lesson 1 Quiz

We assign Quizes depending on the lessons. If there are 2 Lessons and 1 Quiz. He will do 1 Lesson one day and 1 Lesson and 1 Quiz the next day.

I usually plan 1 to 2 weeks ahead. Depending on my time and what our calendar looks like w/ other activities (scouts and church)

Like I said I use a book. I also print out the scores about every other week. So I have it too. Oh but for short term records my son puts his score next to the activity. If he takes a quiz gets below a 70% he has to do it again. If he does not get at least 70% the second time, he has to repeat it the next day until he learns it. (gets 70%)

No time limit here. My son does not do good looking at timers. He has to be working on school by 8am, some days he is done by 10 other days it takes him till 3pm. It all depends on HIM.

I know you said your daughter is in K. But this is what works for us and our 5th grader. I hope it helps.

Brandy

TIA!![/QUOTE]
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.