Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Question Lesson Previewing & Planning

Hello Everyone!

The kiddies are just LOVIN' T4L! But I'm starting to get a yucky feeling way down deep inside my belly as I'm trying to schedule them out for the year. You see, I was just tickled pink when I first saw the Lesson Previewing and Planning page (LPP for short). The LPP is in fact what got me excited about T4L. (That and the fact that I would not be in charge of trying to teach MATH to my children!) I thought to myself, "WOW! How easy! I will just follow the step by step instructions (OH NO, Math! Yikes! Good thing I have my handy-dandy calculator on my desk.) and I will know exactally how much work my wonderful little students will have to accomplish each day. I even printed out the Lesson Plans so as to keep track of their progress. (It sure would be great if they made that in .doc format so I could add some columns for scoring, etc. Hint Hint!)

But then I noticed something. "Hey wait a minute", I said. The LPP says 8th grade Language Arts has only 64 activities and looking at the Lesson Plan it looks like a lot more. And guess what? It is a lot more. There are 134 activities to be exact. I know, cuz I counted them. (Did I mention I don't like math?!) Of course some are quizzes and Odyssey Writers but aren't those activities?
    UUGH!

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do about it? I'm sad to say I think it will involve more math! Your help would greatly be appreciated!
    Never stop asking, "Why?"
    and
    Never stop searching for TRUTH!

Susan - Happily Homeschooling Kendall (14) & Jackson (9) for 5 years!

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've reported this error, and it should be fixed soon. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I don't like counting those, either. I go crosseyed! :P

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks for the quick reply Kelly,

I did speak with Suzie at home office this morning, as my fingers were tired of typing, and she was very helpful. I did come to find that it seems 8th Grade Language Arts is the only subject that my children have that was added incorrectly. There are actually 134 activities and that includes quizzes. (There are no worksheets or tests.) I also came to find that the total number of worksheets, quizzes, and tests are listed (albeit in very small print) at the end of the chapter description on the Lesson Plans. So, for any of you that want to have a more accurate plan and would like to use the very nifty handy dandy Lesson Previewing and Planning page just go to the Lesson Plan for your grade level and manually add (Ooooh how I hate math!) the total activities + total worksheets + total quizzes + total tests... And THEN use that figure with the Lesson Previewing and Planning page to figure the actual number of activities your children should do each day.

YEAH!!! I feel better already, don't you?!

Suzie did mention that they are revamping some items so I hope this will be one of them because I'm sure I'm not the only anal-annie out there that would like to schedule the year more accurately.

B.T.W. Kelly,

I've only just started using this forum and may I say that your comments on many threads have been very insightful. Thanks for taking the time to help us newbies!
    Never stop asking, "Why?"
    and
    Never stop searching for TRUTH!

Susan - Happily Homeschooling Kendall (14) & Jackson (9) for 5 years!