Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default My husband thinks we should homeschool all day every weekday

Do you homeschool all day every weekday? My husband just informed me he thinks our daughter should be up bright and early in her chair ready to learn every weekday. Apparenly, just like in school. He says we take too many days off and just have fun???? What's the point of being homeschooled and learning if you are not having fun. Our week: Monday - a regular school day for us (T4L, about 3 hours starting around 9/10), Tuesday - Homeschool Support Group where we have P.E. and socialize from 9:30 - 11:30 (sometimes later) then off to Occupational Therapy for an hour, Wednesday - regular school day for us, Thursday - Arizona's Museum of Natural History (long drive for us so from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm), Friday - Pooped out and just need extra time to get started, in which my husband calls and wants to know why we are not doing school and daughter is playing with dinos and listening to T.V. Should I be more strick and teach her the way she wasn't learning in school just to appease my husband. Yes, she was 1st grade level when I took her out of 3rd grade, but she has improved greatly since then. Even my husband agrees with this, but appareanly he thinks it's not enough. Any suggestions or advice. Maybe I am too easy going.
    Christy

I think you are doing fine. Sounds like she is getting some create hands on meaningful experiences. Experiences she wouldn't get in school. Experiences that are more meaningful. Have you ever pointed out to your husband how much time is WASTED in schools? 15 minutes entering the classroom/unloading backpacks/lunch count etc. All the time waiting for children to dig out books and such and get to the correct page. All that time waiting while the teacher explains something for the hundreth time. All that time waiting while the slowest kids in the class finish up that thing they are doing. All that time listening while the teacher repeats her instructions for the third time (20 times a day). All that time lining up, waiting for everyone to be quiet, walking down the hall, stopping and waiting for everyone to be quiet AGAIN!

I used to teach. I'm pretty confident when I say that children spend approximately and hour and a half to MAYBE two hour max per day ACTIVELY engaged in learning something.

You homeschool, you get to cut out 99% of the garbage.

Junior Member Newbie

Talking Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Crystal View Post
    I think you are doing fine. Sounds like she is getting some create hands on meaningful experiences. Experiences she wouldn't get in school. Experiences that are more meaningful. Have you ever pointed out to your husband how much time is WASTED in schools? 15 minutes entering the classroom/unloading backpacks/lunch count etc. All the time waiting for children to dig out books and such and get to the correct page. All that time waiting while the teacher explains something for the hundreth time. All that time waiting while the slowest kids in the class finish up that thing they are doing. All that time listening while the teacher repeats her instructions for the third time (20 times a day). All that time lining up, waiting for everyone to be quiet, walking down the hall, stopping and waiting for everyone to be quiet AGAIN!

I used to teach. I'm pretty confident when I say that children spend approximately and hour and a half to MAYBE two hour max per day ACTIVELY engaged in learning something.

You homeschool, you get to cut out 99% of the garbage.

Wow!!! You just made me feel more confident in my abilities to homeschool my child. This is my first year homeschooling him (He is in Kindergarten)
    Thank You!!
    Carol

Thanks Crystal, I'm a back and forth worrier. Someday I feel like I'm doing it all right and then other day I feel like I'm way off and not doing the best for her.
    Carol, I'm right there with you. I started homeschooling last February and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Our biggest challenge has been deschooling her and getting her to realize learning is fun.
    It's great to have a place to vent and get a response
    Christy

If it ain't broke don't fix it
    It seems like you are doing just fine and I would not change something that is working.....
    Yes you should be considerate of your husbands feelings and be open to suggestions but IMO unless he is doing the schooling then he should let you take have the finale say on this....

BTW we school year round and have no set day, time, ect.... I find letting my kids learn freely makes it better all the way around for us
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Thanks Keri,
    I feel the same way about letting them have a little leeway. It truly makes it so much easier and it's unbelievable how much more she learns when I'm not trying to shove it down her throat
    Christy

Junior Member Newbie

Momma Crystal: So good to hear you say that! I have been homeschooling less than a week and spend less than 1/2 the time he used to spend in school. I used to substitute, and I completely agree with you. It certainly is possible to teach a child, one on one, faster than trying to get 30 kids to learn the same material at once, with all the interruptions!
    And when my son misses answers to quiz questions, we go back and learn the correct answer. To me, THAT is learning! Thanks!

Junior Member Newbie

I have recently began homeschooling my 4 year old daughter. I am a former teacher, and I too have been wondering how long we should work each day. My goal was to work during the mornings and have the afternoons free. I would like to see us on a schedule working the same times each day. We have not established that yet. We use T4L as a supplement. Any advice on establishing a schedule is welcomed.

Hi Talia
    If you feel the need for a set work schedule then maybe just start off with 30 mins - 1 hour a few days a week ... Just say okay for example from 10:30-11:30am mon-thurs, we will do our lessons then after we have lunch and be done for the day
    HTH ;-)
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Quote Originally Posted by crickbrie View Post
    Thanks Crystal, Our biggest challenge has been deschooling her and getting her to realize learning is fun.
    Christy
    I pulled my daughter out after only 6 weeks of 1st grade and its taken a year and a half to deschool her or at least get to where anything we did that resembled "school" didn't create anxiety and tears. She still needs to be reminded that "school" for us as homeschoolers doesn't always mean worksheets. She also asks me when she finishes something if she earned a sticker or "A". When the kids are engaged in something fun that is also learning I stop them and say "guess what? You are doing school"