Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Thread: new HELP

Junior Member Newbie

Default new HELP

My daughter who is 9 is currently going to a public school. She is blind and I am fed up with changing schools and them not helping much and her hating school so bad that I am done. I want to home school her but she is blind with an IEP placed at her school. What can I do? Where can I start? Right now she is going to Claude Hyke in Kansas City, Kansas

I am sorry it has been so many days and no one has answered you. Exactly what you have to do is hard to say as I am not familiar with Kansas law. You'll need to look that up. There is a kansas state group here you might find useful.

Generally speaking... you can call a PPT meeting and get a progress report on your child's IEP. It is your legal right to do this, do not let the school convince you otherwise. If you are working with an easy going school district they MIGHT continue to offer services if you bring your child to the school for to get them. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though. Otherwise you can file a letter of intent with the school district and pull her out. You might want the school district to evaluate her and create a new IEP annually. Some people do this. Otherwise you'll just need to follow the laws for homeschooling in your state, whatever they might be.

Good luck!

Junior Member Newbie

Hi, Best of Luck to you and your daughter. My great Niece age 7 is also blind so I am aware of some issues you face. My son is Autistic so I know the IEP crap too. Are there any Foundation for the Blind in your area? They help with alot of complications with our schools here in NJ. Also try to contact "The Little Rock Foundation" they are here in NJ also but are very well known, Their son Rocky who is blind had a hand in getting congress to pass additional laws to assist Blind people. Good Luck.