Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default New to Homeschool & T4L

Hi, I am new to homeschool & T4L. I live in Texas and would like to know, how do you know if your child has received all the information he needs for that year. I want to make sure he has everything. We are required to have Spelling, Grammar, Reading , and math along with others. But my question is, we are working mostly out of La Extentions for Grammar, Spelling, and Reading. We just started reading this week in Langauage Arts for his reading to try something new. My son loves T4L, he is 11 and has Asphergers. So this program is wonderful Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Gidget

Car

I'm new to T4L. also...although we use it mainly..we also utilize other resources. For Spelling we use SpellingCity.com...the same site my son's previous Charter School also uses....and we get a weekly list of spelling words for his grade level....There are also many games that help the children learn how to spell the words and learn their definitions...My 8 year old generally has the words down in one day..where in school...it took him a week to learn (same words)..He didn't get to use the games..the teacher just printed off the spelling list...But I belise the games help reinforce in their brains the words and their meanings so they're not just Memorizing for a test....It also let's your child take a test and automatically scores it if your State requires record-keeping.

Also..Check out the book "What every (enter in your child's grade) should know" for Scope and Sequence of what others in his grade level are expected to know. Or you can just search online...Hope that helps.

I like the book "what your ____ grader needs to know" and I also use this online list as a guide. Typical Course of Study.

Hope that helps.

Thank you everybody, I appreciate the information. I just signed up for Spelling City today. I will be looking for the book.
    Thank you
    Gidget

My child likes beestar. It include math, English language art, vocabulary, science and many many. You can check it out here www.beestar.org.
    Lisa

Hi Gidget,

I am also from Texas. I don't know if you are aware of this but the Texas Education Agency (TEA) publishes their curriculum standards for the public schools by subject and grade level. Here is the link: Texas Education Agency - Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills . It is very detailed, and it could give you some guidance if you're worried you're missing something.
    Lisa

Mom to Nick, age 9