Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default New to homeschooling 1/2nd grade....

Hi! I love so far the little bits that I have read on this forum. So much encouragement! And I think I need it. I am thinking about homeschooling one of my sons this year. He is supposed to be going into 2nd grade, but because he is so far behind in the reading/language arts area, the PS have recommended that he repeat 1st grade. I tend to agree with them that he will fall too far behind overall with being behind in this area of learning. He is good at math and he loves science (and so excels at that)...but he hates reading and writing and he acts like you are torturing him when asking him to do it!!

My problem is...is that I am a little 'chicken' to take this on. I am so afraid that I won't do a good job with him and not teach him enough overall to meet his grade level. I thought that if I could find a really good curriculum to guide me through this, it would be helpful!

I love this T4L and so will definitely be incorporating it into his days, but I am no teacher and want to make sure that I cover all areas of language arts that he should be learning at this grade level.

Can any of you out there advise on what curriculum(s) you use or used at this grade level and were really happy with?

He will be going thru state testing this year as all 2nd graders are here. So, I want to make sure that he scores well enough to continue homeschooling if we so desire.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom

Hi Dakotamom

I am so glad to here that you feel so welcome,I felt the very same way when I first started out home-schooling and was lucky enough to find T4L forums.
    I can also understand where you are coming from,When I first switched to T4L my daughter was using ABEKA and was struggling with it to read.She was 1/2 way thur her 1 st grade yr and could not read nothing more the c-a-t
    I can honestly say that T4L alone with the added library book is all you really need to help teach him to read.Thou I will be the 1st to admit every child is different ,so even thou this program solely worked for my child doesn't mean the same may happen for you..All you can do is just give it a try and see if it starts working for him..I know that for my daughter being able to do her school work like she was watching TV and playing games really made it more fun and easier for her to just learn.Sometimes changing a way a child learns can make all the difference.
    I am sure others will soon jump in and add their suggestions ,I hope I have helped if nothing more then to give you some encouragement
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Blog Entries

Hi DakotaMom. I had to laugh when I read your name. On many forums and groups that I am on I am known as Dakota'sMom. My son is going in to third grade now. He still doesn't read very well. But that's totally normal for some kids. We have been using T4L since kindergarten. But my son is very resistant to reading. What I have learned about him is that he can read. When he thinks I'm not paying attention, I've caught him reading. I have also noticed that since he turned 8 a few weeks ago, he is suddenly getting more and more interested in reading. I think it's a maturity thing, especially for boys. We are adding All About Spelling to our curriculum this year. We are also adding handwriting without tears. We are just beginning those so I can't tell you how they will work for us. One really great thing about T4L is that you can do second grade math and science with your son and do first grade language arts. That way he won't become bored with the math and science stuff while catching up on reading. Please fell free to ask any questions you may have on here. You don't say which state you live in, but be sure to join the Parent Group for your state. You can find it under the group setting at the top of the page. Welcome.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Welcome Dakotamom,

I LOVED the sage advice you got from the two gals ahead of me in this thread. Amen to what they said!

I am so glad you're here. I also know exactly how you feel. It's scary doing something so differently, but I want to tell you that you will do GREAT! I just graduated my first little homeschooler and I'm beginning my 13th year with my younger three sons. I no longer have those fears I did when I began, and I'm more committed than ever before.

Here's what you need to know. More is not better. More is just..., More!

Keeping it simple helps your child to have time to process and store information. Sometimes in the classroom it's easy to go into overload and our little ones can shut down.

We use Time4Learning for Math and Language arts and Social Studies. My boys went up more than they EVER had in math after just one year. We are now beginning our third and love it even more than when we first began. (Btw, they did great in all the subjects, but math is where they truly shined like never before)

I agree with adding lots of yummy books from your library and would add daily reading aloud into your day. Children read better the more they are read to.

We use Keys For Kids for bible for my two youngest, and my 14 year old is reading the the 365 day bible to me.

Once your child begins to get a solid foundation in reading I cannot recommend enough Time4Writing. Your child gets a certified teacher who works one on one with them online. My oldest FLEW UP in his skill set after just eight weeks.

I also highly recommend plugging into your state support group here on the forums. You will see a little tab at the top that says, "State Groups". Click on that and then click on your state. Talk with other moms who can help you get started.

Last, but not least, stay plugged in to our forums. Our forums exists for the sole purpose of education, inspiration, information and fellowship. "We're Better Together"!

Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hello,
    i just want to say im starting this program this yr too for my 6yr old, i myself am scared for i have had alot of doubt from family and friends dicouraging me on this whole thing about me homeschooling my son.. ive been feeling like a failure for they will not stop jumping down my case about wanting to try this out... they just keep insisting he is the sgoing to go to a public school and they are gonna go buy him school clothes and im like i havent decided what im doing yet and they get offensive.. Gees.. I mean i felt good about this whole thing then i have family bring me down.. this is something i looked into over a yr ago and looks very interesting. my son has already did the demos and he loves it..i havent registered as of yet but plan to in the next week to get started.. but guess what tomorrow school starts here in public schools an im gonna be getting some phone calls believe me,, what to do? what to do? i have a forum i started about being stressed and then i got alot of support on here that helped me so im back again cause i had my mother inlaw telling me she is going to go buy him some clothes and he needs to be in school.. well guess what she is gonna get mad but he is my son and what i say goes and my husband which is her son supports me all the way but will not speak up to his mother which offends me.. but i dont care it looks like a good try to me and im going for it... i hope i meet more people on here to help me through cause i have concerns too about am i gonna help him enough? do i need to buy more books and what all will i need to start this? any answers to these questions? like do i need a daily planner and how do you know how many hrs to be online doing this program a day? i have lots of questions.. Like is the curriculum all he needs or do i add more to it? please help me to understand what i need to do as a parent in this program... Thanks...

Blog Entries

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I just had a long post ready to submit and I hit the wrong button. Okay, let's try this again. For a 6 year old, I think the only thing you need besides T4L is a library card. Use it often and get to know your children's librarian well. I especially like the "let's read and find out" series of books. Reading daily to your child is one of the best ways to help them learn to read. Also let them see you reading often. This will help to instill a desire to read in your child. I don't think we spent 45 minutes to an hour online in Kindergarten and First Grade. This year we have decided to do T4L three days a week. On the other two days we are going to do All About Spelling. We are going to work on Handwriting Without Tears every day for ten minutes. You might want to add this if you want. The workbook was only $7.95. I don't think you need all the other stuff they try to sell you. We don't use a planner, just a calendar to mark off attendance. As a parent, I sit behind my son and encourage him to pay attention. (We have a serious problem with attention span.) I explain things again if he doesn't understand it. If he still doesn't understand we do the lesson over again or even go bacl a lesson or two to help him understand. And print out the worksheets that are available for some lessons. And as far as the grandparents, my child, my rules. I determine how he will be educated not them.

Dakotamom, since the public school shows that they have held your son back in first grade, you could probably put off the testing for another year. In their eyes, he is not in second grade.

Kathi Homeschooling Mama to 8 year old Dakota and Gramma to Homeschooling Damien, Kennedy, and Ciencia
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default Such great encouragment...

Thanks so much for your replies I have checked in, but didn't get a chance to respond until now. I have looked at T4L closer, and I do think that it is very complete. I will add in some handwriting, spelling, and Bible reading to our lessons, but I feel really good about this! I just told my husband about my decision and he is very supportive!

I wanted to tell the poster above who is having a tough time with family to stand firm if she believes that she is doing the right thing. There is not one person that I know who homeschools that does not get flack from their families! I am not even planning to tell my mother (she live 1400 miles away) that I am homeschooling my son until we get deeper into the year. She will throw a fit and I will never hear the end of it! But I really feel that this is the best for my son. I will also hear resistance from my husband's aunt who live next door, but I will just bite my tongue and move on...

I have a sis in law who has homeschooled her kids from day 1 and they are very, very intelligent children. VERY! She seems to have it all down so well (better than I ever expect myself to). When I see her kids, I am amazed at how well they do! They could run circles around any child their age in school academically and they are so well mannered and "modest". It gives me all the confidence I need to support a good homeschool program. Her kids are very involved with other kids from church and homeschooling groups, and mine won't have those opportunities as much, but I still think that it will be okay. This will give me a chance to have my son in piano lessons and swimming because we will have more time, so he will love that!

If you get discouraged from family or friends, I would suggest that you visit the forum regularly, because I find it encouraging and upbuilding to keep focused and more confident. Also, if you have homeschooling groups in your area, I have heard that that is a good idea. I am not sure yet of any in my area and since we live out of town, I am not sure how that will work for us, but many people I know who homeschool love working with the groups in their area.

Also, don't fall for the 'socialization' excuse that so many people use. I will tell you, in my opinion, it is so much hype! I had every opportunity growing up to be "well socialized" and it didn't help me one iota to not be horribly shy my entire life. My oldest son was in the public school system all his school years and he is the same as me. The son that I am planning to homeschool was sheltered much more so (because we now live out in the country) and he is a natural social butterfly!!! Seriously, I think that there is much more that goes into the whole 'socialization' thing. And with homeschooling, I will be able to choose who he is socializing with!

One thing that my son and I are very excited about is that we are going to plan a regular schedule to visit the 'big' public library in town! We get to visit so seldom now, but with homeschooling, it will be so much easier! He will love it. It will be a regular 'field trip' stop.

I was very worried about a 'curriculum' and schedule, but here at T4L, it seems to be handed to me. And the help and responsed here have helped a lot. Thanks so much!!!

Sincerely,
    dakotamom