Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default New to the Homeschooling concept, few Q's

My wife and I have two boys and both are currently enrolled in a traditional public school. My oldest will be entering 7th grade next year and our wonderful little school is plagued with problems and drama in grades 7 and 8. Because of this, we are searching for options and homeschooling is one of them.

I have been thru the archives but one thing about homeschooling that I am struggling with is understanding if there is an actual "required cirriculum". I think I have noticed much more freedom is alternative methods of teaching (we love that) but some of the things I have read are confusing me a bit. I read that there is no required testing but I haven't found anything that outlines what a child of any certain grade is required to study.

For example, our school requires that all 5th grade students MUST take band. Common sence would tell me that they should be studying age appropriate math, science, history and so on but is there a list anywhere that defines anything that is a "must". Are there such requirements for homeschoolers?

I guess my real question is this, for a family like ours that is interested in homeschooling, is there a good article to read that helps get a better understanding of this concept? What's required and what's not is my main question.

Also, I have an idea for an online course that I could easily make available to anyone with computer access (art and music). If you wanted to create your own cirriculum, is there a proper way to go about it? Is there a way to gain accredidation so that if students take this course they receive school credits for completion?

I am probably asking questions that have been asked a million times before, for that, I apologize. If there are any links you could post to assist us in gaining a better understanding of how this all works, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you in advance!

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi! Each state has its own laws regarding homeschooling. My favorite resource for understanding homeschool laws is Homeschool Legal Defense Association. It's a Christian organization but, regardless of your beliefs, the site offers a wealth of information. I'll link you right to their analysis of California's homeschool laws.

Although California requires instruction in "English, mathematics, social sciences, science, fine arts, health, and physical education", instruction in these subjects will vary, even among public schools (and even between teachers at the same school). Just because you are required to teach science, there are no rules saying the child must study biology one year, physical science the next, and so forth.

We have state specific forums on this board, so you might want to visit the California homeschoolers' forum to discuss homeschooling in California.

I have designed curriculum for my children many times. Until high school, there is really no such thing as "credit" for a class, and you can use any resources you choose, including self-designed courses. (You might have to be careful if you live in a state that requires you to submit a list of resources used, or requires "approval" of your curriculum, but there aren't very many. California isn't one.)

Once they are high school age, it often takes some effort to get a public school to award credit for ANY homeschool work, regardless of whether it's a curriculum you designed or a purchased curriculum. I usually advise people to take an all-or-nothing approach to high school: either have your student start out as a freshman in a public high school (or at least an online school . . . not an online curriculum), or plan to homeschool all the way through high school.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I think Kelly pretty much summed up what I would say. But I didn't want to miss the chance to say welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you might have here or on the California Parent Support Group.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the reply's, we really appreciate it. As to this cirruculum I am wanting to create, I now understand there is no set requirement but I am wondering if there is a way to gain "endorsement" from any of the major homeschool associations or parent forums. I think I have found something that can really be a great learning tool for the kids and parents who are wanting a better option for music. I can't say exactly what it is at the moment but please know this is not at all about money but giving kids a solid option for music, especially those who are in homeschools who don't currently seem to have many options.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

I think you'll find that most members of this forum are in a position to offer advice on homeschooling your own children. You would probably get better answers to your other question on a different type of forum.

Junior Member Newbie

I have read a fair amount on homeschooling on this site but still have lots more to read and learn myself. I hope that question didn't offend you, that is certainly not what I intended. This "idea" I have is because of what I have read on this site in regards to parents looking for music options. I'm trying to develop a product that will help parents, not replace them if that's what you meant. Again, if I offended you with that question I apologize.

Blog Entries

No offense taken. That question is outside the scope of this forum, but I didn't want to ignore it. I'm sure you can find some answers elsewhere on the Internet . . . marketing forums, maybe?