Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default It is not getting any easier, thoughts?

I am on the fence to go back a grade level on T4L. Here is the situation.

DS 8 has Autism with Anxiety and Sensory Disorder. He is excelled in math and science but struggles in reading a great deal. It causes issues esp when he wishes to work and be more independent but can not 'do it'. Make sense?

I came back to T4L after beginning his 3rd grade year with other curri. Most of which were a tad harder due to reading and time consumption. Thus, I signed back up for T4L and kept the Math and Science he loved as a supplement.

I also realize when we lived out of country they started the kids earlier in school. So when we moved back they kept him at grade level but in an EC class room as he can not be mainstreamed. Lots happened, he was pulled.

Now last year I did second grade T4L and he did great at it. But there is a major jump in how the curri is handled from 2 to 3rd including the reading.

I have made the work shorter and not as much while still keeping his favorites outside of T4L. We still have issues that result in tears for him or I. I have no issue in taking extra days to understand something and expect it at times. This is why I do year round.

Has anyone ever repeated the same grade level again because the next one was not really fitting quite yet? I did test him at First Grade Level at the end of the year even though he did 1st and 2nd in a years time on T4L. It was my first 'test' to do and I needed a base to begin with.

I would love insight on this and your experiences. He pretty much needs visual but the level he is at now is not really doing much for him. Like I said, Math and Science he is above. Reading, Spelling, English - very low.

Thoughts? TY much.
    Year Round - Homeschooling - Disney Freak of a Mom to two Wonderfully Smart Autistic Kiddos!

I'm sorry no one has responded just yet.

Go back! If where you are isn't working then do it! You may not need to go all the way back to the beginning of 2nd. Start about midway through and see how it goes. Then jump back more or move ahead a bit! Whatever your child needs. That is the beauty of this program. And you know what? REPEAT! We'll do the same 4 or 5 activities every day for a week if it seems we need to. Move at your child's pace! He'll actually learn faster and you will both be happier!

Hi
    I wanted to add another thought, you could always keep him on the 3rd grade level and go very very slowly even if it takes you longer then a yr to finish said grade..You could maybe do 3rd grade level twice a week but then go back to 2nd grade level the rest, for reinforcement and confidence building...
    Sometime when the next grade is harder for the child they get fustrated and discouraged..but being able to do things that is easier or they already know helps them relise that they are smart and that they are doing a good job which helps them get thru things that are not as easy for them
    HTH
    Keri
    Home/Road-Schooling Mom to DD & DS !
    View my Blog <~ Click here

My daughter is 9 years old and dyslexic. She had almost completed LA level 2 when I realized how much she was really struggling through it. I should have started on level 1 to begin with but having taken her out of school in February I assumed she was ready for level 2. It's amazing how her confidence has already started improving now that she's not struggling through the lessons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momto2 View Post
    I am on the fence to go back a grade level on T4L. Here is the situation.

DS 8 has Autism with Anxiety and Sensory Disorder. He is excelled in math and science but struggles in reading a great deal. It causes issues esp when he wishes to work and be more independent but can not 'do it'. Make sense?

I came back to T4L after beginning his 3rd grade year with other curri. Most of which were a tad harder due to reading and time consumption. Thus, I signed back up for T4L and kept the Math and Science he loved as a supplement.

I also realize when we lived out of country they started the kids earlier in school. So when we moved back they kept him at grade level but in an EC class room as he can not be mainstreamed. Lots happened, he was pulled.

Now last year I did second grade T4L and he did great at it. But there is a major jump in how the curri is handled from 2 to 3rd including the reading.

I have made the work shorter and not as much while still keeping his favorites outside of T4L. We still have issues that result in tears for him or I. I have no issue in taking extra days to understand something and expect it at times. This is why I do year round.

Has anyone ever repeated the same grade level again because the next one was not really fitting quite yet? I did test him at First Grade Level at the end of the year even though he did 1st and 2nd in a years time on T4L. It was my first 'test' to do and I needed a base to begin with.

I would love insight on this and your experiences. He pretty much needs visual but the level he is at now is not really doing much for him. Like I said, Math and Science he is above. Reading, Spelling, English - very low.

Thoughts? TY much.
    I think this is such an excellent question. I have a child who has significant CAPD. He just struggles so hard to comprehend subjects. We have gone back and done an entire grade level in Time4Learning and it was GREAT because he felt more confident the second time through. I could tell his little heart was so proud of himself as he was able to get through the questions easier. He still didn't get 100% but it was MUCH MUCH Better. The greatest thing about homeschooling is that we get to make education fit our children.

Listen to me..... You are doing a great job. I hear in your words your deep concern. That tells me what kind of mom you are. Breathe and go back. Enjoy your journey. Homeschooling is not just about the education but the experience. At the end of the day I want my children to remember me cheering them on and themselves feeling successful.

HTH,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/