Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Unhappy Over thinking this? Am I missing something?

Hello All,
    I'm new to HS and T4L. Started both about a month ago and now am really starting to doubt my decisions! I'm really frustrated and wonder if I'm overlooking something or quite possibly, over thinking. If you could provide any guidance or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

My DS is 11 in the 6th grade. He has AS.
    T4L Math is great with the visual and speaking lessons. It also includes worksheets that I print out and have him do. I know he is retaining/learning and we move on from there. However, with Social Studies, there aren't any worksheets until Chapter 10! Science has 2 ws for Chapter 1, 1 for Ch.5 and 1 for Chap. 6. LA doesn't start until Ch.5.
    What can I use to supplement the lessons? Worksheets, Vocabulary, etc., anything would help make this more successful for him.
    Suggestions?

First I would like to say welcome to the world of home-schooling! 2nd I would like to say ~~>Breath and try to relax
    I get it,we all have been New to this at one point and its normal to be nervous,to over think and to be "Blunt" Freaking out!
    You soon will relise that it will all be okay and that your child will be okay if you dont add seat work or if maybe one year you dont focus as much on social studys ....
    My suggestion is if you want worksheets where there are none,then pre-view the lesson and create your own. T4L is a really good sound program , IMO if there are no printables then more then likley the lesson via the computer is probally sufficiant.Of course we as mommas know when our kids need that extra help so like I said make your own worksheets
    I hope this helps and if you have any more concerns please ask...I hope you keep us all updated on how things are working out for you and your son
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

I agree....take a deep breath and try to relax a little. If you put "free lesson plans" or "free worksheets" with the subject included (like, "free social studies worksheets grade 6" into a google search, you will get a ga-zillion hits and you can just print out what suits you. I have a lot of favorite websites...some are free, some are not....the one I would reccommend to you would be: www.currclick.com They have free and very inexpensive materials. They do a lot with "lapbooks" which I find work really well for middle school kids. All of their materials are in Pdf. format and instantly downloadable so you don't have to wait or pay postage for your materials. Don't bog yourself down in looking at a ga-zillion web sites. When you find something that you like/can use PRINT it out.....that way you won't get frustrated when you try to go back and find it. I do think that one can make up ones own worksheets, but why?? You have enough on your plate for the moment.....you don't need to reinvent the wheel. As you get more comfortable with HS, you will tweak lessons and create projects that suit you and your own child. cheers! deni...........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11675210@N05/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Junior Member Newbie

This might be such a goofy question but where do you find the worksheets on t4l? We are very new at this and I didn't realize there was worksheets. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by jennyhinkle@aol.com View Post
    This might be such a goofy question but where do you find the worksheets on t4l? We are very new at this and I didn't realize there was worksheets. Help!
    Not a stupid question! I didn't know either! I asked my son who told me, "Log in as me", then go to the lessons, then click on "Resource" under the particular lesson you are having the student work on. Wow! I had no idea! I'll have to start assigning some.

I wonder if you can "Assign" certain things for the kiddos to do during their session. Does anyone know?