Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Papers, Essays and Book Reports

I just pulled my son out of public school a month ago and have been using T4L since. He is in 2nd grade and doing great! In public school this year they have been working on writing paragraphs which is wonderful but it's the one thing my son struggles with the most. Apparently I am still on his old teachers email list so last week I got an email from her talking about an upcoming 5 paragraph instructional essay that they would be starting soon. Is it just me or is that waaaayyy too much for a 2nd grader? I bought a notebook for my son and he uses it as a journal. I have him write 1 paragraph each day and before he starts we sit down and talk about what he plans to write. After he finishes then we go over grammatical and spelling problems.
    In what grade do you have your kids write essays, book reports or other papers?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Children's skill levels vary so much at this age. Five paragraphs would have been a bit much for any of my second graders! I absolutely love your writing program, probably because it's very similar to mine. One great paragraph a day is a reasonable goal for a second grader, and of more value than an occasional five-paragraph essay. It's great that you go over the mechanics with him when he's finished. I have my kids write something every day (for the "creative" part of writing) and then we choose one of their masterpieces from the week to go over on Friday (for the "mechanics" part).

In Time4Learning, second graders have Story Creator, where they first move pictures around on the screen and then write about their picture. Some students will only be able to write a few words, others will manage a sentence or two, and a few kids can write paragraphs.

More advanced writing skills, as well as book reports, are introduced in third grade.

It sounds like you and your son are doing a great job together. I think I'd get myself removed from that email list.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks, Kelly! We used Story Creator for the first week or so, but my son just wanted to work on his picture forever. Instead of making the picture then writing about it he would just continue "making his picture better". So I decided it was too much of a distraction especially since he really dislikes writing Now we just skip over that and he writes in his journal. I definitely need to have his ex-teacher remove me from the list. Everyone at the school keeps telling me my son will be welcome back anytime if homeschooling doesn't work out. I just laugh and keep going, lol! Anyway, thanks for your insight.

April

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I absolutely have had that same challenge with Story Creator! I resorted to an egg timer. "You can work on the picture THIS long, and then you have to write. When your writing is finished, you can do more to the picture if you want."

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Great idea Kelly! Thanks!