Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please come share your Last year of Home-schooling

As the New "School" year approaches ,I thought it would be interesting to hear from everyone how this past year went home-schooling for them..
    Was there something that you and/or your child struggled with that you found a solution for?
    Did your child finally make a break thur in a area that has been difficult for them?
    Is there still something that you and/or your child is still struggling with?
    Or has your lil one excelled in a subject that you would like to "brag" about
    Please come share with us the Good, the Bad & yes the ugly !

~I will start
    This last year we have been struggling with my 8 1/2 yr old Daughter Not paying att. while doing her school work.She had always done her studys at the kitchen table or her bedroom.I soon realised & decided this was not working anymore ,So I created her a "School Nook" .I found a area of the house that had NO distractions and put all of her school things there. Since I changed the location of where she does her school work,She has been able to concentrate much better! which is making us both happier~
    Last edited by proud2Bgreen; 07-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by proud2Bgreen View Post
    This last year we have been struggling with my 8 1/2 yr old Daughter Not paying att. while doing her school work.She had always done her studys at the kitchen table or her bedroom.I soon realised & decided this was not working anymore ,So I created her a "School Nook" .I found a area of the house that had NO distractions and put all of her school things there. Since I changed the location of where she does her school work,She has been able to concentrate much better! which is making us both happier~
    Keri, I love this because it goes to show that what works one year may not work the next. I think this has been one thing that throws me. When a child excels with a certain curriculum and then they outgrow it, I have a hard time finding the next thing because I am always looking back, remembering what worked. Your example reminds me to keep my eyes on today and not on yesterday.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Keri, I love this question and hope others will chime in. We can learn so much from each other!

Something new we are doing involves our time4learning. I found that the one thing I was starting not to like was that I was feeling disconnected from what my kids were learning or what they were doing.

I have many friends that would be fine letting their children work independently so I think this is just a personal like of mine. However, I don't want to have to be there for everything. I was trying to find the balance. So here's what we do:

I sit with my youngest son for his first lesson in Math and Language arts to get him started everyday.

I sit with my older son on Tuesday while he does his work.

I sit with my oldest on Wednesdays. It helps me feel connected to what they're doing and it gives them some undivided attention with mom.

The other thing that I do is have all of them come get me when it's time to read an interactive book in their language arts lesson and read it out loud to me AND they all have to get me while they take their quizzes and tests so I can see how they're doing.

What about others?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thank you Mary...I also hope others will soon jump in and share
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

This was my first year homeschooling and only started in February. It's been a huge learning process for myself and my 9 year old daughter. We have discover so much about eachother and I have learned more about patience than ever before. We struggled quite a bit in the beginning due to figuring out how she learns best. Compliments, encouragement and patience are the best advice I can give. Compliment only when it's due, my daughter HATES when I tell her she's doing good on something when she knows she's not. So that's when I have to change to encouragement and remind her that she has it in her to figure it out and I'm always here to help. Then patience when she's cranky and tired and just doesn't want to try anymore. It's been a challenging few months but I'm confident we'll get it all figured out. I'd rather have her struggle at home in private than at school where she was falling behind. Must say she is so much more confident because of it. My once shy girl who hid behind me or started crying when someone spoke to her is now in swimming lessons and gymnastics and can't wait to go, she even excuses us in the grocery store when we accidently cut someone off

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crickbrie View Post
    This was my first year homeschooling and only started in February. It's been a huge learning process for myself and my 9 year old daughter. We have discover so much about eachother and I have learned more about patience than ever before. We struggled quite a bit in the beginning due to figuring out how she learns best. Compliments, encouragement and patience are the best advice I can give. Compliment only when it's due, my daughter HATES when I tell her she's doing good on something when she knows she's not. So that's when I have to change to encouragement and remind her that she has it in her to figure it out and I'm always here to help. Then patience when she's cranky and tired and just doesn't want to try anymore. It's been a challenging few months but I'm confident we'll get it all figured out. I'd rather have her struggle at home in private than at school where she was falling behind. Must say she is so much more confident because of it. My once shy girl who hid behind me or started crying when someone spoke to her is now in swimming lessons and gymnastics and can't wait to go, she even excuses us in the grocery store when we accidently cut someone off
    Not only is this an awesome testimony, it is filled with GREAT Tips!!!! Becoming your child's cheerleader! I love it

okay, i've been meaning to jump in on this thread for a few days but am only now getting around to it!

i am mom to 4 - my oldest is doing an online charter school this coming year, my two middle children will attend a local b&m charter school but they both LOVED T4L last year - however, i'll be homeschooling my youngest child using T4L and some other resources for a curriculum similar to a 4yr old kindergarten program

btw, i had parent-teacher conferences this past monday for my two children who will be starting at a local charter school in grades 4 & 7 - a few weeks ago we were told that homeschooled children might need to take placement tests before school - however, i took all my printed reports from T4L and the teachers were sooooo impressed!!! they actually commented that it appeared T4L might be MORE ADVANCED than the standard public school curriculum and that, thanks to the reports from T4L, no testing would be required! woohoo!

now, on to what i'm doing this year for my youngest: i'm using T4L preschool level to set our themes for each week and provide fun and engaging lessons for my son - for language arts/reading, i'm supplementing with Hooked on Phonics pre-reading level and ClickNRead (i paid for an account for one of my other children and don't want the account to be dormant for a year so i'll just be using it to reinforce T4L and HOP) - for math, i'm supplementing with CIMT lessons (Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching - Mathematics Enhancement Programme) - my youngest is already showing kindergarten level math skills so i plan to take advantage and go ahead and use the CIMT kindergarten curriculum - for science & social studies, i'm just using the T4L themes and doing additional activities - for example, one week the theme is "pets" and we plan to visit a pet store that week and discuss different types of pets & the care they need

i'm also using the workbox system and my son is already loving it! he is excited each day to see what his boxes contain and is asking me to fill his boxes when he's done!

we LOVE LOVE LOVE T4L and after the meetings with my childrens' teachers this past week, i'm an even bigger supporter...if that was possible!!!

jenn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mom2ahrj View Post
    okay, i've been meaning to jump in on this thread for a few days but am only now getting around to it!

i am mom to 4 - my oldest is doing an online charter school this coming year, my two middle children will attend a local b&m charter school but they both LOVED T4L last year - however, i'll be homeschooling my youngest child using T4L and some other resources for a curriculum similar to a 4yr old kindergarten program

btw, i had parent-teacher conferences this past monday for my two children who will be starting at a local charter school in grades 4 & 7 - a few weeks ago we were told that homeschooled children might need to take placement tests before school - however, i took all my printed reports from T4L and the teachers were sooooo impressed!!! they actually commented that it appeared T4L might be MORE ADVANCED than the standard public school curriculum and that, thanks to the reports from T4L, no testing would be required! woohoo!

now, on to what i'm doing this year for my youngest: i'm using T4L preschool level to set our themes for each week and provide fun and engaging lessons for my son - for language arts/reading, i'm supplementing with Hooked on Phonics pre-reading level and ClickNRead (i paid for an account for one of my other children and don't want the account to be dormant for a year so i'll just be using it to reinforce T4L and HOP) - for math, i'm supplementing with CIMT lessons (Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching - Mathematics Enhancement Programme) - my youngest is already showing kindergarten level math skills so i plan to take advantage and go ahead and use the CIMT kindergarten curriculum - for science & social studies, i'm just using the T4L themes and doing additional activities - for example, one week the theme is "pets" and we plan to visit a pet store that week and discuss different types of pets & the care they need

i'm also using the workbox system and my son is already loving it! he is excited each day to see what his boxes contain and is asking me to fill his boxes when he's done!

we LOVE LOVE LOVE T4L and after the meetings with my childrens' teachers this past week, i'm an even bigger supporter...if that was possible!!!

jenn
    What a GREAT testimony Jenn! I've come so close to using the workbox system, but I wasn't sure how that would work with Time4Learning? We do use a few outside things? Will you share how you use them in your home?

mamamary, i have only been doing fun & educational activities this summer in the workboxes and nothing for the past month - my hubby is active duty military and stationed overseas right now but has been home on leave for the past month - i'll start the workboxes again in august

however, if you go to this page (Never Just A Housewife: Our Workboxes) on my blog you can see more about how i'm using workboxes - i have updated the form shown there since and will do some more updated soon - basically, though, T4L will be an activity in one of the boxes each day - i'll just have a notecard with a picture of the T4L logo on it and my son will know that means it's time to complete his online lesson - the other boxes will have corresponding activities or the supplemental activities

jenn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mom2ahrj View Post
    mamamary, i have only been doing fun & educational activities this summer in the workboxes and nothing for the past month - my hubby is active duty military and stationed overseas right now but has been home on leave for the past month - i'll start the workboxes again in august

however, if you go to this page (Never Just A Housewife: Our Workboxes) on my blog you can see more about how i'm using workboxes - i have updated the form shown there since and will do some more updated soon - basically, though, T4L will be an activity in one of the boxes each day - i'll just have a notecard with a picture of the T4L logo on it and my son will know that means it's time to complete his online lesson - the other boxes will have corresponding activities or the supplemental activities

jenn
    Oh Jenn,

Thank you! I've thoroughly checked out workboxes, but I'm better when I see an actual example. I can't wait to check out your blog. Please know that I am stopping and praying for your husband and for your family right now. Thank you so much for serving our country. My best friends husband just got home from being oversees for his second deployment and they are being reassigned to Texas. I live your life through her (though I know that's not even close to experiencing the real deal) and have so much respect. (((Bless You)))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast