Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Please someone help me!!

I am ttrying to find out how to get started homeschooling my first grader here in MI but I have no idea where to even start. Is there forms to fill out where do I get supplies! Im freaking out a bit I know its the middle of the year but I dont think I have another choice. Im hoping someone will help me get started!!!!!

Blog Entries

Okay. Go pour yourself a nice cup of tea and then take some slow deep breaths. Now repeat after me, "I can do this. I want to do this. My daughter needs me to do this." Now that you're feeling a bit better, read through the Michigan law. It looks to me like you don't really have to do anything. Just pick your child up from school tomorrow. I would send a letter to the Superintendent of Schools in your area informing them that your daughter will not be returning to school because she will be homeschooled or attending a private school or whatever you want to tell them. But in reading the law I don'teven see where this is necessary. I would just do it so she would not be considered truant. Now get yourself on over to the Michigan Parent Forum. They will be able to give you more specific advice regarding Michigan laws than I can give. They should also be able to hook you up with some homeschool groups in your area.

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as supplies. Time4Learning is a good basic curriculum. My son has been using it for five years now and loves it. Some people like to supplement with workbooks and things like that which you can purchase at a local bookstore or even some of the craft stores today. I don't really think they are necessary. I do think one of the most important things you will need to get is a library card.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. Homeschooling is fun and exciting.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota