Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Smile Pls. Guide me.................

Help from kinder and grade 1 moms???
    I would like to ask if we take time 4 learning program for 6 years kid,should we also sit beside her when she takes her lesson.as i am a busy lady,having infant.
    Guide me how i will manage that she learns herself from your program.only i will have to moniter her.how many hours should she spent for kinder and grade 1?how you managed means how many hours for math and l.a?
    Thanx.................

Hi,
    I'm pretty new myself to T4L and homeschooling. I have my 4th grader (on level 2 because of learning difficulties) do one of each - LA, LA extension, math and alternate science and social studies. We usually start around 9:00am and finish up around noon/1ish. The time limit really depends on how long it takes them to do the activity - if she's like mine one day she'll breeze through them and on others she'll whine about EVERYTHING and it will take her much longer
    In the beginning she wanted me to sit next to her while she worked, but I find now that she's familiar with the program I don't have to and I get some cleaning done in the process

I think with each child the answer to this question will be different. When my daughter started the T4L program she was in the 1st grade & yes at first I was needed at her side to help show her how to navigate the program and Read some things for her But,after a few months she was doing it all on her own!
    It has been a few years since then But, still I need to be there to turn on the computer and let her know what I need her to do ,& just like with any child at times I am still needed to help explain a certain problem ,ect . I think that you just need to take cues from your child to see how much "hovering" she needs from you and of course I would always ask at the end of the day if she understood her lessons ect and then check to see her grades ,So you will know if she needs some more review and maybe some one on one help from her parents .
    As far as the time length ,again this will depend on your child and how you are home-schooling.Some of us go by the "typical" school year calender and others school year round ,Some do lessons 5 days a week, others 2 or 3 days. Once you figure out what schedule best fits your family then you take the lessons and divide them by the number of days you are wanting to do . Then after letting your child do a few lessons you can kinda figure how much time you will need aprox a day ( we personally do aprox 2-3 hrs a day & we school year round so that way i dont have to do but a couple days a week )
    I agree with crickbrie ,It will depend on how fast she is or slow...And of course lesson will be diffrerent so expect that one day may be longer or shorter then others. I also know how hard it can be with a infant as my son was born when my daughter was just in Kindergarten ,This was one of the main reason we switched to T4L because i could not devote so much time to a "book" curriculum & needed the ease of a online program. One suggestion i can give you is until your daughter is able to do everything independently is to not try to do everything at once,I know for me it was easier with a lil one to do one subject at a time ,Like in the morn just have her do math then break then maybe after lunch when baby is napping do Lang and then squeeze in social studies and science when ever possible.Try not to stress to much ,it will take time to find your groove
    Good Luck!
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brill View Post
    Help from kinder and grade 1 moms???
    I would like to ask if we take time 4 learning program for 6 years kid,should we also sit beside her when she takes her lesson.as i am a busy lady,having infant.
    Guide me how i will manage that she learns herself from your program.only i will have to moniter her.how many hours should she spent for kinder and grade 1?how you managed means how many hours for math and l.a?
    Thanx.................
    Hi Brill,

What a great question! I loved all the answers you've gotten. I'll tell you what I've found to work in our home. Please know that every child and every parent is different though so you will find your own personal groove after doing this for awhile.

I always start the first day off sitting with my youngest son while he gets started. This seems to set us up for a successful week. I've tried "training" him to work independently on that first day and it ends up taking more of my time to go back and check everything. The reason this works so well for my youngest child is because he learns best through modeling. When I show him what I want him to do and then I let him do it, he masters the process. When I explain it to him he just doesn't do as well. Don't get me wrong, there are Mondays where I will still have him start off on his own if we have a busy day planned, but we are more successful on those weeks where I sit with him.

I also have my children get me as soon as they are done with a subject and I check their backpack. I have them repeat any lesson below an 80% right away before moving onto the next lesson.

I hope this helps and I can't wait to hear about all your Time4Learning success! (Big Warm Smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/